starting strength gym

Thread: Balancing Goals During Novice to Intermediate Transition

Default Balancing Goals During Novice to Intermediate Transition

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coaches,

It's looking like I'm at the end of my novice progression and I'm looking for some advice on where to go relative to my short-term goals. Here's my stats:

• Male
    • 5' 10.5"
    • 196 lbs @ 35.5" waist

I began the SS Novice Program in early December 2012 and moved to Advanced Novice in late February 2013. My lifts have progressed as follows:

• Squat - 205 to 340 (3x5)
    • Press - 95 to 142.5 (3x5)
    • Bench - 155 to 205 (3x5)
    • Deadlift - 245 to 360 (1x5)
    • Power Clean - 95 to 160 (5x3)

Up until I began stalling on multiple lifts about six weeks ago, I had been able to maintain my body weight around 205 lbs while making consistent progress on the major lifts. It was a great ride from early December to early April watching my strength go up and my waistline drop from 37.75" to ~36.5" while maintaining my body weight.

My plan the entire time was to cut down body fat once my lifts stalled on their own, so in early April I cleaned up my diet and kept at the program with the goal of making very small gains or at least maintaining my lifts. Progress has been slow, but I am down about 10 pounds and 1" on my waist while keeping all of my lifts at the same level and volume.

Until the week ago a MWF schedule was perfect, so I stuck with Advanced Novice and kept sailing along. My MBA night class moved to Tuesday night from Wednesday nights, so unfortunately Wednesday AM workouts are a no-go through the end of October. This week I moved my second workout to Tuesday AM (24 hours after my first heavy workout for the week) and it was immediately clear that I needed more recovery time or a different program.

My immediate priority is fat loss while maintaining my strength base. Once I'm down to < 12% body fat, I intend to push hard to gain more strength (405+ squat, please!), especially with upper body movements.

Here's my questions:
    • Should I consider a four-day split to accommodate my new night class? If so, how should I handle the volume/lift selection based on my short term fat loss goal? Please feel free to recommend something completely different, this was just my first thought.
    • Right now I'm losing between 0.5 to 1.5 lbs per week. I'd like to target something closer to 2-3 lbs per week to get the fat loss part over with, but I'm concerned about cutting too deep and losing strength. I'm hoping with an updated program I can target a higher level of fat loss, but what macro targets would you recommend?

Thanks for the forum and all of the great information you guys put out. After several years of screwing around in the gym, SS and PP (which I'm currently reading) have finally taught me how to build a solid base of strength.

I will leave the diet questions to Jordan. I will say that you have several competing goals here. 2-3lbs per week of BF loss while maintaing strength will not be possible over the long haul. Further, TM on a calorically restricted diet will also prove to be a very difficult challenge, (read: impossible over time).

Thanks for the response, Mac. To be clear, my immediate goal is fat loss while maintaining strength. Once I'm down to a more reasonable body fat level, the I will purely focus on strength gains again. The fat loss is really just a means to an end - I want to start my next strength cycle at a low enough body fat so I can eat without concern about ending the cycle at > 25% BF.

As far as programming, I've seen conflicting recommendations to either lower volume on a TM-style plan or move to a different program altogether until I'm ready to resume gaining strength.

Losing two to three pounds a week will make you weaker. Hands down. You will crash and burn on the TM if you try this, too. At 196 pounds and 5' 11" I am wondering how much weight you feel you must lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Losing two to three pounds a week will make you weaker. Hands down. You will crash and burn on the TM if you try this, too. At 196 pounds and 5' 11" I am wondering how much weight you feel you must lose?
    I don't think I have too far to go, maybe 15-20 pounds of fat. Possibly less. Based on your initial response, it sounds like continuing to aim for 0.5-1.5 lbs per week is more prudent if maintaining strength is a secondary priority. I can live with that, I just hate dieting down so I was hoping to compress the pain into a shorter time period and get it over with.

What about the workout scheduling side if things? Can I do TM on a Monday, Tuesday, Friday schedule (or Monday, Thursday, Friday)? Or is there a four day split variation I should consider?

TM is hard, and changing the routine to two days in row would be very difficult. In fact, it would result in NDTP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Ward View Post
    TM is hard, and changing the routine to two days in row would be very difficult. In fact, it would result in NDTP.
    Thanks, Mac. Unfortunately, my schedule for the next 15 weeks allows for Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursday, and Fridays for training. What's your best suggestion for programming during this time period? I'm okay with moving to a four-day split, although keeping workouts to three days a week would be nice from a time perspective, too.

starting strength coach development program
    There are many four day splits available. Programming depends on your level of advancement and other activities. I personally use a four day split with a different priority each day of press, dead, bench, and squat. PM me if you would like more information.