starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sloppy Press?

Default Sloppy Press?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

This was my 2nd set from my press workout today. I have fallen into this technique, but seem to be having good progress with it. I have gone from 82KG x3 to 91KG x3x3 so far, all while losing 10KG BW.

It looks to me that I don't get under the bar fast enough, too much lean back, and the biggest problem being, I'm bending more in the thoracic spine, than the hips. Would you agree, or is this way I'm pressing OK to continue? I haven't read SS version 3, but I feel like I'm getting plenty of drive of the shoulders doing it this way.

I was the guy a while back with the compression fracture at T8 if this makes any difference in your answer. Back feels heaps better after changing the way I sit during driving, and some thoracic mobility work.

We don't coach it this way anymore, and if we did, we'd yell at you about your head layback.

Quote Originally Posted by nkelman View Post
    Rip,
    I haven't read SS version 3
    Crazy, considering that we were so nice as to provide everyone with an excerpt.

So would getting under the bar quicker fix the head layback? Is this the only problem?

Like I said, we don't coach the press this way anymore, so that is not the only problem.

So because you don't coach it this way any more, you can't give me some advice? My goal is to press 300lbs, would I be better off pressing like this, or buying SS edition 3 and learning the new way you coach it?

My advice, if you want to press 300, is to learn how to press it like we coach it now. We didn't change the fucking method just so we could sell you another book.

Must've missed the Press excerpt (and I haven't purchased the 3rd edition yet), but I was surprised to see the thumbless grip not recommended. That's probably the one thing that's helped me up my press.

Do you think the thumbless grip was recommended in the 2nd edition? You haven't read that one either.

starting strength coach development program
    Wendler used to sort of press this way and he uses a thumbless grip, so you aren't alone there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast