starting strength gym

Thread: Saturated fat in all this milk?

Default Saturated fat in all this milk?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok so this is related to my previous question you helped me with.

What is the general consensus in regards to the benefits or drawbacks of saturated fats? How bad or good are they?

Because there's a load of conflicting info on them, and cheese and milk are both full of it. According to the details on my milk bottle, 60% of its fats are the saturated kind.

According to the info on my kids milk powder tin, 40% of its fats are saturated. It can't be that bad if we're giving it to babies?

Cheers

My general consensus is that the general trends across large populations of an increased intake of a certain nutrient is not particularly relevant. What's relevant is that you need more muscle mass.

It's fun to poke through all the studies, but there is no general consensus. Traditional (since the 70s) recommendations were to lower saturated fats. Later studies have called this into question.

Just drink the milk and tend to your n=1 health, and get your deadlift up.

We are lucky to live in a civilisation where we have the choice of what to eat. In Russia they would eat blocks of lard and even tallow in order to survive and they did.

In graduate school back in 1998 or so, I stayed at a monastery in Germany for a month since they had the archive of the philosopher I was studying. One of the monks was from the former East Germany, and he would eat his bread with thick sheets of butter covering every surface of the bread.

Classic article questioning the demonization of saturated fats from 2002:
    What if It's All Been a Big Fat Lie? - The New York Times