starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: newyorkbarbells

Default newyorkbarbells

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    has anyone ever bought from this guys? They have a very wide selection but some of their stuff is pricey, and shipping can be outrageous.

I wanna get some olympic dumbbell handles and curl bar for LTE's, flies, raises, low weight high rep stuff. Found handles on amazon for way cheaper (and look exactly the same) but am afraid of buying a piece of shit.

I bought some over-sized (longer) 1" (standard, not Olympic) DB Threaded bars from them. Good quality, no problems. I would buy from them again but I agree they are a little pricey.

I've purchased a rafter-mounted pullup bar & a bench from them. They work as designed, and I expect to be able to use them for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoman View Post
    I bought some over-sized (longer) 1" (standard, not Olympic) DB Threaded bars from them. Good quality, no problems. I would buy from them again but I agree they are a little pricey.
    I was thinking of these because if I buy the extra long ones I can also use them for dumbbell work if I buy more plates. But I think olympic handles would be better for flies and shit so the weight can rotate, but maybe it wont matter that much in the end cuz its going to be so light anyway. Thoughts? (open to anyones thoughts)

------

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I've purchased a rafter-mounted pullup bar & a bench from them. They work as designed, and I expect to be able to use them for many years.
    I have a feeling they make their stuff, but I'm not sure. Thanks
    --------
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Most of the website (coded in c.1996 HTML) looks to be Chinese junk.

Have you looked at Texas Strength Systems' (coded in c.2003 HTML) website? They have a pretty decent looking 30lb EZ-Curl bar.

The bar that TSS has similar to the New York Barbell curl bar is $50.
    How can you tell its cheap Chinese shit, and yeah I'm probably going to get that TSS curl bar bc its cheaper than anything I've found on Amazon also. Thanks

------

I've got some j-hooks of theirs. Quality is fine, welds are strong, finish is cheap, price was cheap. Got what I paid for, happy enough with it.

they actually have 1.25 plates for their threaded handles, so I may just have to buy threaded handles. Could microload on them down the road if I ever feel so.

Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    How can you tell its cheap Chinese shit, and yeah I'm probably going to get that TSS curl bar bc its cheaper than anything I've found on Amazon also.
    Why not just buy the Body Solid Curl bar from Amazon? The chrome is $59 shipped. I have two of them. They're fine. It's probably actually the same bar anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by hollismb View Post
    Why not just buy the Body Solid Curl bar from Amazon? The chrome is $59 shipped. I have two of them. They're fine. It's probably actually the same bar anyway.
    that is the same exact one I was looking at on Amazon. Hadn't noticed the shipping differences...thanks, and thanks for the review of it.

An equipment flipper I trust told me that nybb is junk. I've never handled their equipment personally, so take that with a grain of salt.

starting strength coach development program
    anyone have any experience with these?

Amazon.com : Olympic Dumbbell Handles sold as Pair : Sports & Outdoors

Theres only 2 negative reviews...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast