starting strength gym

Thread: Another Geezer Checks In

Cool Another Geezer Checks In

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Howdy y'all! 67yo Texan down here in south Texas.
    Have had the SS book for a few months without acting on the info.
    Finally got inspired by the article in Muscle & Fitness, 'The 4-Week Guide...'
    Got all my equipment set up yesterday.
    Did my first workout with a bare bar (Mark's recommendation from Rogue Fitness): squats, chest press, and added 50lbs for the dead lift.
    After effects were all good.
    Will take the doberman for a long walk on my rest day.
    Quitting the gym where I used to swim now that I've got my lifting gear here at home.
    Love the idea of reversing my declining strength.
    I'll keep watching the SS DVD to make certain I'm doing it all correctly.
    Only question I have so far is about breathing. Can someone explain in 25-words or less how I should be breathing during the lifts? The book had TMI; just the facts please.

TxBubba in Boerne TX

Hi TxBubba,

I am new to this too, so can't pretend to be an expert. Others more knowledgeable than me will surely pipe up. I too found SS book TMI, and the result was that I was doing things wrong. It is great you have the DVD, I think that would have been a better way for me to start.

To answer your breathing question: at the start of a rep take a big breath, and hold it by closing your lower throat, not your mouth. That is called a Valsavla. At the end of the rep, and not before, take a quick refresher breath. This form of breathing helps you hold all your core muscles in firm isometric contraction.

I strongly suggest you get a video camera of some kind, and video yourself doing your reps. Put the video on youtube, and submit it to the Technique thread, for a "form check." That thread has a sticky that tells you how to shoot the video. Doing this is essential because it is impossible to self-assess your form. I guarantee you are doing at least one thing wrong that you don't realize. 20 year olds can tolerate mistakes. We elders can't. Also, at your age, you should also see if you can get a coach. It made a huge difference for me.

Meanwhile.... wait for more expert advise to trickle in.

Steve
    Last edited by sfischer; 02-22-2015 at 07:47 AM.

Welcome to you TxBubba, this is a great place for support and advice. Im 63yo and also bought my gear from Rouge. Have it in the basement, been lifting for two years now. I wish you great GainzZz!!!

Valsalva: Put on your lifting belt and tighten it. Take a deep breath as you get under or grab the bar until you feel your abs tight against your belt. Perform your rep. Exhale. Repeat for each rep.

38 words. More words than you asked for, but fairly succinct nonetheless.

Welcome. I'm eager to see your log.

Welcome!

I have found the DVD to be very helpful. However, the Press instruction on the DVD is different from what is described in Starting Strength 3rd edition. There is a video on the new press here

starting strength coach development program
    Put the log of your lifts here http://startingstrength.com/resource...play.php?f=152 That way you can hold yourself accountable and help others to understand your progress.