starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Failed some squats - what to do Pt. 2

Default Failed some squats - what to do Pt. 2

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    of course all of the riptards would say to get bigger to get stronger

not everyone wants to be 250lbs and have a big fucking gut

some people want to primarily gain strength (and some lean mass)

and it can be done, without diverting from "the program"

unless people here don't think doing over 400lbs for 3 sets of 5 is any good during the novice period

What's the gag?

there is none

Yeah, I don't really know the premise on this one. I got to 3x5x400 with nothing more than repeated bouts of linear progression.

(I'm not sure what is considered "on topic" on this one, so bring it)

someone failed @ 280, weighing 193 and 6'2"

at least a couple of people said he needs to eat more and get bigger, without even knowing how much he's eating

i said he should try it again and then reset like the books says if diet/sleep/rest are in order

I likely didn't read the thread but I'm inclined to concur. Re-setting and just doing more workouts is usually beneficial, think macro, not micro.

p.s. i always thought the no caps and no periods was proper stonerider style

The thread wasn't closed because you didn't have a valid point. It was closed because you were being an asshole, for no real reason, and started a mini flame war. Anyways, this one will probably get closed to. If you're not familiar with SR, I don't think he was being malicious until KONG told him to shove a broom handle up his ass, lol. Whatever.

For the record, I don't think anyone is retarded for suggesting eating more protein or for suggesting that a trainee should gain weight faster. If you're purely interested in strength, there is no doubt that eating nearly as much as you can handle is usually the best route. If you have some self-image issues or you're interested in maintaining a leaner body composition for whatever reason, I still think the method of weight gain stonerider described is the best. I've done it both ways and I've seen other people do it both ways. I got stronger faster when I gained 3lbs+ per week, but I also got much fatter faster.

I personally don't give a shit and that's why I'm 215lbs at 5'7". I'm on my way to "250 with a big fucking gut" if not even heavier.

and just so we're crystal clear, i'm not like msingh -- if you want to be large and carry a bunch of fat, i'm okay with that

it gets old, though, when people who DO care about carrying around a ton of extra fat are told it's the only way, when it isn't

re: the thread, i guess me calling kong a fucking retard is what set it all off... but kong was being ridiculous, and really, is "fucking retard" so bad? spar calls people idiots, morons, etc, all of the time simply because they have a different favorite color; but i guess it's terrible when i do it, because i'm one of the guys it's popular to hate on.. shitty grammar, quirky punctuation (JM3), incomplete sentences and the like are all accepted, but god forbid i type in all lowercase and don't use periods
    Last edited by stonerider; 03-27-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with you 100%. I guess if people aren't familiar with your posts, they'd interpret it differently.

There are lots of social benefits to not being fat and it is reasonable to want to be lean. This is in the same vein as people who detest curls just because a few people go overboard with them.

starting strength coach development program
    I first failed at 280 1rm. Reset and had another crack a couple months later and got 365!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast