starting strength gym

Thread: Starting over. I'm Psyched!

Cool Starting over. I'm Psyched!

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    So, 10yrs ago I got into lifting at 32yrs old. Made good quick gains due to genetics, but didn't stick with it.

Fast forward 10yrs: I decided to get into running on my 40th Bday and have completed a bunch of 5k's 10k's and two half marathons. Completely stopped what little lifting I had been doing. Dropped to 186lbs which is a decent weight for me if I have some muscle, but I didn't really.

Got pneumonia Sept of last year. Bed ridden, etc...took 3mos to really get better. Lost most of my fitness. Started running again, but thought about lifting again as well.

Signed up for a Tough Mudder which takes place June 9th. It was incentive to get some upper body strength back.

Wanted to do things properly. stumbled across Mr. Rippetoe's Starting Strength book. It's SUPERB!

Got psyched as I have been wanting to learn Olympic lifts. Ordered the Rogue shoes last night. Got some New balance MX20's for a flat shoe for DL's.

I squatted for the first time in probably 2yrs today. Forgot how hard they are. Presses are totally new to me and I need to read up on the form again. I'm fairly comfortable with DL's though that doesn't mean I'm doing them properly.

I'm very tired in a good way today. :-)

I think after the Tough Mudder I will cut back my running a lot and focus on lifting more.

I just turned 42yrs old yesterday. I'll put up a video within a couple weeks for form checks.

Looking forward to learning and getting better/stronger.

Thanks for "listening" to my rambling.

Regards,

Dean

ht? wt?

5'10" 205lbs. Here are a couple pics from my half marathons where I am 186-190lbs

What has always frustrated me is that my lower body makes above average strength gains but my upper body is below average. Within a few months I went from zero to a 1RM of 405lbs DL and 385 squat but my bench had always sucked badly. Sub 250lbs if I recall.

I am hoping I can get my presses up to a decent level this time around. I'm far more patient with my old age.
    Last edited by Dean407; 03-25-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: picture links

microweights baby