starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good to be here

Default Good to be here

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am a 50 yo male, and started lifting just one month ago. I started with Stronglifts 5x5, but changed to SS after reading SSBBT3 two weeks ago. And, by the way, I'm Norwegian, so please excuse my broken English

It was a relief for me to find this forum, and to realize that there are other guys out there like me. I've read a lot of the threads, and really enjoyed it!

I'm what they call "skinny-fat", 5.9 ft 183lbs, 25% bodyfat, not much muscle.

I started out light, with the empty bar on every excercise, and have increased 5lbs on every workout, except the press. My squat is now 132lbs and deadlift the same. Not much, I know, but I'm happy to see that I'm getting stronger. And I have plenty of time, the weights will be heavy enough in a few weeks .

I've struggled with the press form, so I think I'll go back to lighter weights and practice the form a little longer.

Any suggestions about what would be the best diet for me? My goal is to lose bodyfat and gain muscle. I've been told that you can't do both at the same time, so what would be the best approach? Should I go for a calorie deficit first to lose fat and then on a surplus to gain muscle? Or the other way around?

Hei, og velkommen til "geezer" avdelingen!

Hello, and welcome to the geezer dept. I'm a newbie myself, and I've found that everyone here is very supportive.

Jan

What's going up there along the Baltic and North Seas? We got geezoids and geezers popping up like mushrooms after a Spring rain. Have the faery rings propogated or something?

Welcome!

Tusen takk Jan and Mark, and thank you so much for the welcome.

I guess the Vikings have been weak for the past millennium or so. Now we are finally getting ourselves back on track, and we have found that SS is a good way of getting strong again

You folks up there are well on their way back already, Scandahoovian DNA seems to dominate the World's Strongest Man.

krsand,

It is good to be here. Have you started a log someplace?

Carson

Welcome! And do think about starting a log. You'll get a lot of specific advice that way.

Glad to have you aboard Krsand. Good info on how you should eat can be found here: http://www.barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584/

Good to have you Krsand.....I've been able to cut and gain muscle....so it is possible...there are more than one way to get it down....will share how I approached it later. But one place to start is to get the myfitnesspal app on your phone or laptop...start tracking calories/macros per day...do this for about a week or two and see if your weight goes up or down now that your training....you are looking to find your maintenance calories. You are also looking to find the breakdown in your macros. most guys don't eat enough protein.

Louis
    Last edited by lou t; 03-27-2015 at 02:35 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    slow and steady Krsand! us geezers don't have the time or internal resources to recover like those &$#*&^%!! whipper-snappers do!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast