starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strength for Highland Games

Default Strength for Highland Games

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm Justin and I'm from Tennessee. I decided to embark on this journey for a few reasons: poor back health, tired of being weak, and I have a new love for Highland Games. I'm a 28 year old 6'2", 290lb fatboy. I've decided to HVIII (Matt Vincent inspired) my weakness, self pity and shortcomings enough to do something about it. Today was my first run at Starting Strength. I have to say, I really enjoyed it. I haven't lifted weights seriously in 10 years, high school football. My VA doctor tells me I'm stupid for wanting to lift heavy but my Chiropractor is all for it, so I'm going to listen to him. I mostly did bodyweight stuff in the Marines so I'm starting from scratch. Today I found my first working sets:

Squat 3x5 @ 175 (may have been able to do 5-10 more pounds but didn't want to push too heavy right out the gate)
    Press 3x5 @ 85
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 135 (could have done more but the book recommended light deads starting off)

I'm excited about this program. I'm looking forward to the next workout.

VA is shit. My experience with military doctors is you'll usually be best served doing the opposite of what they say.

Good luck to you. Despite your weight, make sure you still eat a reasonable amount to sustain GAINZ.

Best of luck to you.

Squat 3x5 @ 175 (may have been able to do 5-10 more pounds but didn't want to push too heavy right out the gate)
    Press 3x5 @ 85
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 135 (could have done more but the book recommended light deads starting off)
    You did the right thing. This is a marathon, not a sprint, things will get real heavy soon enough. May the gainzZz be with you.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'm excited to start making good progress and gainz.

Welcome Justin. looking forward to seeing how it goes for you. matt is a cool guy with a great message that resonates with me as well. best of luck!

Training Day #2

The gains begin:

SQ-3x5 @ 185
    BP-3x5 @ 115
    DL-1x5 @ 155

Felt like a successful day, although my degenerative disc is acting up a little bit. I think (hoping) it will be minimal as my back strength increases.

Training Day #3

Had to skip my Friday workout because of work, but got it in early this morning. Gains are continuing. DDD is still acting up a little bit, pain went away about 30 mins after workout.

Sq-3x5 @ 195
    Op-3x5 @ 90
    DL-3x5 @ 165

Everything is slowly increasing. Like it has been stated before, it's not a race but a marathon.

Training Day #4

SQ-3×5@205
    BP-3×5@120
    DL-3×5@180

Squat is starting to feel heavy, still pushing through and making gains.

starting strength coach development program
    As a note, my deadlifts above were only 1×5 not 3×5. I am trying my best to stick to the program as Rx'd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast