starting strength gym

Thread: Carb:Fat Balance

Default Carb:Fat Balance

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I'm still a little unclear as to how to go about figuring out the optimal carb:fat balance for a given protein and caloric level. Sure I can understand that too few carbs will impinge on glycolytic based exercise performance and too few fats may eradicate essential omega 3s from the diet, but outside of these extremes, what indicators should I look at in making this decision?

The notion of carb intolerance in certain populations is a term that is used often but how does this manifest itself? Does it suggest that there is a metabolic advantage to low carb diets in certain people with this affliction?

hat indicators should I look at in making this decision?
    In an isocaloric setting, does a higher (or lower) amount of carbohydrates or fats make a significant difference in your compliance, body composition, and/or performance.

Does it suggest that there is a metabolic advantage to low carb diets in certain people with this affliction?
    Eh, probably not - but there's a lot of moving parts here with respect to total protein intake (and sources), fat sources, compliance, etc. I think that, in general, most people will lean towards either higher carb/lower fat or lower carb/higher fat based on their individual responses to dietary intake.

From a compliance point of view, I think that it's generally more practical to adjust calorie intake by manipulating carb levels simply because fats are usually incidental to the protein foods that we consume whereas starches and sugar are usually separable from these foods. Furthermore, I personally find that appetite is more stable when limiting carbs (after a period of adjustment). But at an acute level it's difficult to tell which is the better for body composition in fact even long-term it's hard to say.

Would it be too much of a blunt instrument to automatically assign a 40-something-year-old male with an expanding waist line to the low carb group? or is this presumptuous?

I have occasionally heard the notion that weight training individuals should consume as many carbs as the can tolerate (preset cal/pro) but I don't really understand on what basis to make that judgment. I mean I occasionally binge out on chocolate and I'm still alive. Tolerate in what sense?

I suppose for the average Joe, practicality and adherence to a give calorie intake are the major factors in the absence of long-term body comp data.

Thanks Jordan. Looking forward to the book.

Would it be too much of a blunt instrument to automatically assign a 40-something-year-old male with an expanding waist line to the low carb group? or is this presumptuous?
    I'd be mostly on board with this, though the caveat is that it's "lower carb", in general, than their 25 year old self vs. low carb in absolute terms.

I have occasionally heard the notion that weight training individuals should consume as many carbs as the can tolerate (preset cal/pro) but I don't really understand on what basis to make that judgment. I mean I occasionally binge out on chocolate and I'm still alive. Tolerate in what sense?
    Basically I'd be on board with that with the additional input of a stable weight, waist, etc. I want someone to eat as many carbs as possible while attaining the body composition they desire.

I suppose for the average Joe, practicality and adherence to a give calorie intake are the major factors in the absence of long-term body comp data.
    Indeed.