Thread: Bill Starr Rehab specifics

Default Bill Starr Rehab specifics

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have what seems like a pretty minor quad/groin pull Monday doing a
    set of 275x5. A current high for me. No bruising visible so I guessing
    no belly tear. Is that a valid assumption? I attempted a 255 set
    immediately following and stopped due to more pain after a single rep.

I'm walking just fine. Squatting hurts. 5/10 pain level. I've been icing.

Now I'm not sure the direction.

Fuck 25s suck.

Wednesday was good. I did 45x25 and 55x25
    Today 45, 65, 85 all x25. Pain kicking in only right at the end. 2 or 3. Is that my signal to stop the titration up for the day? Tomorrow 45, 85, 105? more if no or little pain?

I asked Rip the following and he said post it.

"Would you mind terribly ball parking the continued titration rate and when do you move to 15s? When you literally can't complete the 25s?
    I certainly don't see it taking 10 days since its minor after you mentioned it could be Friday (not either).
    Thanks. I just don't want to fuck this up by pushing too fast."

Input greatly welcomed.

Hi,

IMH experience, first-time injuries need more attention and time to recover. I've had a couple of recurrent injuries, and my experience has been that second (or third, or ...) time round, the injury has recovered faster than the first.

So, if it's the first time you injured that specific part, take it easy and follow the procedure. You might lose a week compared to the theoretical optimum, but in the grand scheme of things one week is neither here nor there. YMMV, of course.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hi,

IMH experience, first-time injuries need more attention and time to recover. I've had a couple of recurrent injuries, and my experience has been that second (or third, or ...) time round, the injury has recovered faster than the first.

So, if it's the first time you injured that specific part, take it easy and follow the procedure. You might lose a week compared to the theoretical optimum, but in the grand scheme of things one week is neither here nor there. YMMV, of course.

IPB
    I have none/zero/nada issue 'wasting' a week or two to not re-injure. Yeah, it is the first time there. Ok, now that my week has calmed down a little, I had time to read a bit more and see that going to 85 could have been too much....but I did it. I wish the protocol was a small amount more clear that you do 3 sets of 25...but in hindsight it is clear.

Since I did 85, I don't see an issue staying there for my top set, working up slowly.

Yes, I've read that before. Thankfully mine is an order of magnitude less severe.

Ok, this seems like a silly question. How do you know when to stop? I'm back to over thinking this. That severe tear was 9 weeks for Joe. Rip even said 'you may be ok by Friday'. And I am pain free when not squatting and it's minor when squatting.

Or maybe is the weight you add to the LP semi-proportional to the severity of the injury?

Assuming no or very low pain, is this a reasonable titrate up or is that still too fast?

95x25, 105x25, 115x20
    120x20, 135x20, 145x15