starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My program after waking up

Talking My program after waking up

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys, I recently got a stern pep talk from some of you guys letting me know "hey, your not out of the Novice stage" and i've decided to scrap my current intermediate program for standard Starting strength. Here is what I'll be starting off with, let me know what you guys think. Since I have been lifting for around 2 years i think the chins and GHR can help me.

Training session A:
    Squat-225x5x3
    Bench Press- 160x5x3
    Power clean- 130x3x5
    chins-3x10

Training session B:
    Squat-230x5x3
    Press-105x5x3
    Deadlift-335x5x1
    GHR-15x12x3

These are my first 2 workouts based on where I left off with the TM. The numbers im using for the 3x5s are from the volume day sessions. Im guessing the decreased volume/Frequency is going to give my body the chance to recover better and actually start making steady gains as this is the first time ive trained any less than 4 days a week. I think I was overestimating what I could recover from when I was doing other programs that were way too advanced for me like PHAT and my own 5 day DUP program with like 50-70 reps per bodypart

Quote Originally Posted by Dylanbohn95 View Post
    Hey guys, I recently got a stern pep talk from some of you guys letting me know "hey, your not out of the Novice stage" and i've decided to scrap my current intermediate program for standard Starting strength. Here is what I'll be starting off with, let me know what you guys think. Since I have been lifting for around 2 years i think the chins and GHR can help me.

Training session A:
    Squat-225x5x3
    Bench Press- 160x5x3
    Power clean- 130x3x5
    chins-3x10

Training session B:
    Squat-230x5x3
    Press-105x5x3
    Deadlift-335x5x1
    GHR-15x12x3

These are my first 2 workouts based on where I left off with the TM. The numbers im using for the 3x5s are from the volume day sessions. Im guessing the decreased volume/Frequency is going to give my body the chance to recover better and actually start making steady gains as this is the first time ive trained any less than 4 days a week. I think I was overestimating what I could recover from when I was doing other programs that were way too advanced for me like PHAT and my own 5 day DUP program with like 50-70 reps per bodypart
    Nice, best of luck. Don't forget to

Ill also be eating enough to gain roughly a half pound a week as im trying to gain weight, but stay relatively lean doing it. And there is enough evidence out that even for a novice, gaining much more than 2-3 pounds a month is most likely just fat. Lyle mcdonald and Alan Aragon can be cited for this info.

I'm not under the delusion that i can completely avoid any fat gain, just trying to minimize it. I'm shooting for getting up to about 160. I remeasured myself and apperently im only 5'6"...bummer but whatever must have used a different tape last time or had a different hair cut but i just thought it was funny.

Good job. Your posts have kind of resonated with me this week because I've recently had to "work my way up to novice." I'm betting you see surprising progress in the next few months.
    Last edited by Barbecue; 02-13-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: mi tiping sux

OP, what exactly are your goals?

I hope so. I broke a PR today with my deadlift and squat, ive squated 250 for 5 in the past, but not with proper form, so for me to do a below parallel squat at 245 for 5 I would consider a PR. My bench actually went down 5 pounds my last workout but i think only getting 5-6 hours of sleep the night before had something to do with that. The bench press has always been my hardest lift, and I look forward to one day repping 200+ pounds for reps. I probably just overtrained all the muscles associated with the bench so that by the time the next benching session came around, i wasn't fully recovered. I think this program is going to fix this.

Don't forget that pressing strength is more dependent on bodyweight than squats and deadlifts are, for obvious reasons.

This means, you will have to start microloading the upper body lifts sooner or later. It's not optional. So don't hesitate to increase by 2.5 lbs or less per session if you want to maintain progress when 5 lbs increases are not feasible anymore.

Yea, I don't have access to those small increments right now, probably have to buy to 1.25 plates somewhere along the line.

starting strength coach development program
    maximize my natural genetic potential in both strength and size, while maintaining an aesthetic physique. And then coaching others how to do the same thing after college.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast