starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Press form check after deload @ 127.5lbs

Default Press form check after deload @ 127.5lbs

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey guys,

Having trouble gripping the bar properly. It hurts my wrists kinda but if I put the bar closer to the heel of my palm I can't get my elbows under the bar.

Thanks for commenting. The press 2.0 is very difficult. I'm probably not "snapping" forward fast enough. Anything else I can do to get my elbow under bar and get the form down? It's easier with just the bar when I warm up.

For your setup, as you said your wrists are bent...as I'm sure you know, it would be better to have those straight.

In your setup you have your elbows flared out instead of having vertical forearms. For this you just have to squeeze your elbows together to get them just slightly in front of the bar. This will also give you a more solid start position.

I'm more concerned about your setup right now, but once you get that fixed, then start thinking about the hip thrust. You've got the basic motion down, but could shoot hips a little more forward and do it more violently. You should really feel it in your abs and quads.

The basic motion is there though, so it looks pretty good. Just the minor details.

Thanks Josiah.

It's hard man. I feel like I can do the hip thing when there's no weight on the bar, but fuck up when I have to do my set.

Do you know of people who get a pinch in their mid back when pressing? I'm assuming it's my weak abs and overextending?

I've done that before. Yes it is overextending. Don't let that happen lol. Just stay tight--abs, quads, hips, everything. That should be your main focus once you've got the setup and basic motion down.

May be just me, but it seems like the more I press the more I can get away with more layback. More resilience from the added strength maybe. Flexibility too.

sounds good man. I'll upload my press again on Friday. It will be 130lbs. Appreciate your help.

The beard is doing most of the work.

Quote Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
    The beard is doing most of the work.
    ha. Yeah it's my gauge to know when I'm close to my chin. Hit it once and it hurts like hell. Now if I hit it I know I'm close to my chin.

Friday 122112. 130lbs Press Form

Damn guys I'm having trouble getting the grip right with my wrists straight and elbows in. Of all my lifts this press feels like the most unnatural movement. I tried to whip my hips forward hard but I guess it doesn't look like it. Can it be shoulder outward rotation that can prevent you from having straight wrists AND elbows in?

Thanks for commenting.

You got comments on the setup which is of course an important thing, but I'll not talk about that.
    I'm not an SS coach, but I think I see something you haven't heared until now:
    You don't use the bounce from your hips. Yes, you do shoot your hips forward, but you late with the press so you don't get the bounce from the hips. You try to compensate for that with a sort of stretch reflex at the bottom by lowering the bar a bit and than pressing it up. You mix the 2nd and 3rd edition presses. This is probably the main reason that the bar path isn't vertical. The 3rd edition press came into place for some reasons, one of them is to create a better bar path. You don't do that, so you don't get the advantages of the 3rd edition press. You also start the reps from the bottom, so you don't really get the advantage of the stretch reflex at the bottom like in the 2nd edition press.

If I'm wrong don't afraid to say so. As I've said, I'm not an SS coach and all I have is my own experience and knowledge, which is probably not good as the SS coaches'.
    Last edited by TalEphrat; 12-21-2012 at 06:13 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TalEphrat View Post
    You got comments on the setup which is of course an important thing, but I'll not talk about that.
    I'm not an SS coach, but I think I see something you haven't heared until now:
    You don't use the bounce from your hips. Yes, you do shoot your hips forward, but you late with the press so you don't get the bounce from the hips. You try to compensate for that with a sort of stretch reflex at the bottom by lowering the bar a bit and than pressing it up. You mix the 2nd and 3rd edition presses. This is probably the main reason that the bar path isn't vertical. The 3rd edition press came into place for some reasons, one of them is to create a better bar path. You don't do that, so you don't get the advantages of the 3rd edition press. You also start the reps from the bottom, so you don't really get the advantage of the stretch reflex at the bottom like in the 2nd edition press.

If I'm wrong don't afraid to say so. As I've said, I'm not an SS coach and all I have is my own experience and knowledge, which is probably not good as the SS coaches'.
    No man thank you. I think you're right on the money with that observation because it makes sense to me. I did watch the press 2.0 video but guess i'm still a dumbass. Thank you for commenting man. I'll go home and watch the video again and try it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast