starting strength gym

Thread: moving to intermediate

Default moving to intermediate

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I am 6'3-6'4 223 29 years old. I started all over and did the novice program due to I had to re teach myself the form on all of the lifts but my form is pretty good now. I constantly am aware of what I need to do to improve it, etc. I have been doing the novice program (linear progression now for about 3-4 months). My 1 rep squat as of right now is 485 in the hole, my last dead lift max was 680 with alternated grip (I am going to try and get 700 in 2 weeks). 680 was done after a full workout, I have not maxed on bench due to a minor injury and did not want to do one rep but its probably upper 300's, I did do 225 32 times. My shoulder press max with good form is 245. The most I ever cleaned was 340 but that was with piss poor form, doing it with your form with the bounce, etc. I can probably get around 300 maybe a touch over. I have had to reset my bench once, squat once, but my deadlift, power clean are still climbing slowly. My shoulder press is close to having to be reset. Should I reset twice on everything before moving to intermediate? Also I am trying to get my weight up to 240-245, I drink whole milk like a mad animal, I just don't gain weight as easy as some but I am gaining.

This is the only question I can find: "Should I reset twice on everything before moving to intermediate?" It's been pretty well established that two resets is the most reasonable approach before going to intermediate. But if you're having trouble gaining weight, you should solve this problem first because you may be further away from a reset than you think.

You're deadlifting 680lbs as a novice?

I eat like a wild horse but have no gall bladder, had it taken out freshman year of college football. I had gall stones and the Doctor said it was unnecessary. THE Doctor was wrong, if they ever make a fake one I'll put it back in. Yesterday's workouts I did the squats easy and I was way below parallel and I have already passed my first reset numbers. Another question, with no gall bladder should I try drinking more than a gallon of whole milk a day? I think I can surpass the 500 lb. mark in the hole on the squat before another reset. Ill get 700 easily on dead lift also very soon.

Well, if this is the case whatever you're doing now, keep doing it.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok I will. Yes I can dead lift 680 with an alternated grip and chalk. I have lifted weights since high school but wanted to change my form on squat, etc. to SS style. My dead lift was close to the form already and I have always been able to dead lift good, good genes in the back. I also train about 10 guys and started myself and everyone on the novice level with the new form. I tell you what, this is the only book that has ever got it right. I have tried every workout, etc. and nothing is like SS. Straight to the point and no crap. The people I coach here where reluctant about the program because of the simplicity of it, but they are not now. Everyone has bought in, I have one guy who's squat has gone up over 140 pounds and dead lift more than that in 3 months. He has also not been drinking his milk like he is supposed to. SS is the best book I have ever invested money in.