starting strength gym

Thread: Apparent Glute Inbalance Causing Lower Back and Glute Pain

Default Apparent Glute Inbalance Causing Lower Back and Glute Pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello all,

Fantastic having such a great resource avaliable; much appreciated.

I have been executing SS for about 4 months now at our Martial Arts studio, and three friends have joined me.
    One 43 year old female friend inparticular has what seems to my inexperianced eyes as a pretty decent glute inbalance.
    She only lifts to perhaps 70% of her 5RM DL before she'll twinge her back.
    It's an old injury she sustained when leaning over the bath tub one time.

I would say her form looks good in the Deadlift, but when she goes to set-up you can see a real inbalance in the glutes.
    I failed to take any video (happy to provide get it done if asked) but have attached a picture from the front as she sets-up, you can see a predominant slant across her glutes, running high from her right side to low on her left side.
    You can see this in comparision to the mat edge behind her.

Could this inbalance be the issue? And if so, how would one go about rectifying this?

PIC LINK = http://i.imgur.com/rD3R7Ma.jpg

Much thanks in adavance

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 05-17-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Is the floor even? Does she have a leg length discrepancy?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Is the floor even? Does she have a leg length discrepancy?
    The mats are Tatami Mats....vurtually as stable under foot as the typical S+C gym rubber 11mm horse stall matting, but coushins the fall of Martial Art throws that are also practiced in this space. It does mean she's lifting with no shoes. Will test leg length decrepancy, and get a form video for you as well.

Thank you greatly for your time on this.

Cheers

Jack

Definate leg length difference.

Had her sit up hard against her kitchen door (hard flooring), making sure butt was driving hard into door...stretched legs out, knees locked, feet in full felxion.
    About an inch difference.

Won't be able to provide a DL form video until Friday.

Any further questions welcome.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The mats are Tatami Mats....vurtually as stable under foot as the typical S+C gym rubber 11mm horse stall matting, but coushins the fall of Martial Art throws that are also practiced in this space. It does mean she's lifting with no shoes. Will test leg length decrepancy, and get a form video for you as well.
    I was asking if the floor is on a slant.

Definate leg length difference.
    Do you mean define?

Had her sit up hard against her kitchen door (hard flooring), making sure butt was driving hard into door...stretched legs out, knees locked, feet in full felxion.
    About an inch difference.
    You have to make sure the pelvis is level, I suspect the difference isn't a full inch, but very well may be the cause. See if shimming the short side with something about 1/4-1/2" makes it look better.

The floor is level
    The female lifter definately has a leg length difference of about 1 inch, as tested outlined above
    I had her test it up against a door on a hard floor to ensure pelvis plumb on both sides.

You're suggesting I place perhaps a 1/2" matt under the short side, and see how it affects the lift?

Thanks again for the input

Jack

I'm not an anatomist, but a full 1" discrepancy is rare in my experience. But if it is indeed a full inch, then an inch shim would be appropriate.

starting strength coach development program
    Much appreciate your time on this Michael....I'll be sure to let you know how things go.

Cheers

Jack