starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Power poses' to get strong?

Default 'Power poses' to get strong?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

It's a bit left field, but I'd be interested in whether you think this research has any implications for strength training:

http://www.people.hbs.edu/acuddy/in%...%20science.pdf
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc

TLDR: the researchers wanted to test if adopting dominant/confident body posture ('power poses') could affect, among other things, hormone levels. They found that power posing for a short period increased the subjects' testosterone levels by 20% and decreased their cortisol levels by 25%.

While the researchers were interested in the psychological implications, my first thought was that the subjects' hormone profiles became more anabolic and therefore more conducive to strength gains.

So should power poses be prescribed after every workout to get strong (presumably cocky douche bags are exempted, because this is their natural state)? Or does a 20-25% change in hormone levels not significantly affect strength acquisition? Or is there some flaw in the methodology of the experiment (undetected by a non-scientist like me) and the results shouldn't be relied on? Just curious.

Silliness. Perhaps statistically significant but not biologically significant. The squat is a "power pose" from Hell.

Shitty first post too. Try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Silliness. Perhaps statistically significant but not biologically significant. . .
    Damn it... I've been slamming my ball sack into a drawer on my workbench before every squat set because I read that it increased my testosterone levels.... I wonder if I go right in to a Front Lat Spread once I regain consciousness if that would make a measurable biological impact.?

Those studies always find the power position to be the one with the limbs outstretched.

So basically the Press and the Power Snatch.

The Chinese weightlifting coach at one time advised that ICING YOUR BALLS increased testosterone levels. He had no input on the effects of this therapy on transient penis size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The Chinese weightlifting coach at one time advised that ICING YOUR BALLS increased testosterone levels. He had no input on the effects of this therapy on transient penis size.
    Are you suggesting I use our Chinese exchange students to ice my balls or am I reading in to this too much?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Damn it... I've been slamming my ball sack into a drawer on my workbench before every squat set because I read that it increased my testosterone levels.
    Must be great to have a home gym. Sadly, there are no workbenches with drawers at my globo gym--hell, I was excited when they got bumper plates.

Will someone get out the ouija board so we can channel Charles Atlas?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jones View Post
    Are you suggesting I use our Chinese exchange students to ice my balls or am I reading in to this too much?
    Well, at least ask them about it.

starting strength coach development program
    But isn't this why you flex in front of a mirror for half an hour?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast