starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starr weighs in on Olympic Weightlifting

Default Starr weighs in on Olympic Weightlifting

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024

Maybe it's because I'm new to this whole lifting-heavy-things thing, but it seems so silly to even have to say it. We've all muscled through a poorly performed lift and seen that strength can overcome poor technique.

Another thought I had is that there is an absolute limit to technique. You could, theoretically, achieve perfect technique and never have to work on it again in your life. Strength, on the other hand, is an adaptation that can continue to be pushed until you are too old and start to regress. It makes no sense to me that one would ever stop striving for absolute strength gains.

And finally, the thought that I always come back to when I am faced with this debate: one cannot clean what one cannot deadlift. I'm not sure how you can make it any simpler than that.

Simple and obvious, right? Yet here is an example of modern thought regarding the subject: http://startingstrength.com/resource...580#post499580

"His autobiography, Russian Bear: Journey to Mr. America is a most delightful read and is available through Amazon."

I thought Starr was technophobe.

Another nice logical article.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Simple and obvious, right? Yet here is an example of modern thought regarding the subject: http://startingstrength.com/resource...580#post499580
    The person who posted that clearly just read something about Ivan Abadjiev's programming methods. Maybe I'm naive, but I do believe that most of the reputable coaches in the US recognize the importance of strength and are actively pushing the squat. Perhaps not to the extent that many on this forum believe. I think the reason you see the minority posting stupid things like that on the internet is because they are posting on the internet instead of going and trying to squat like the other coaches are.

I recognize the irony of posting about posting things on the internet. I'm at work, where I am not permitted to do barbell squats.

Bill always makes the 60's and 70's sound so fucking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fucking awesome, I love this comic side of your Q&A!!!

They can all say what ever they want, Salimi(the current Olympic champion) did a 325 kg squat in the training hall, now that's got to prove something, wright.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilan View Post
    Bill always makes the 60's and 70's sound so fucking awesome.
    This.

And reminds me that I am small and weak and need to squat 700 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    Maybe it's because I'm new to this whole lifting-heavy-things thing, but it seems so silly to even have to say it. We've all muscled through a poorly performed lift and seen that strength can overcome poor technique.

Another thought I had is that there is an absolute limit to technique. You could, theoretically, achieve perfect technique and never have to work on it again in your life. Strength, on the other hand, is an adaptation that can continue to be pushed until you are too old and start to regress. It makes no sense to me that one would ever stop striving for absolute strength gains.
    I feel like I should go do some zen karate kid whooping crane shit on a fence post after reading that.

Most excellent Corrie.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AriSuper View Post
    Fucking awesome, I love this comic side of your Q&A!!!

They can all say what ever they want, Salimi(the current Olympic champion) did a 325 kg squat in the training hall, now that's got to prove something, wright.

Technique work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast