starting strength gym

Thread: tops of knees sore

Default tops of knees sore

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I've been doing a 5x5 workout for the last few months and have been experiencing a fairly chronic pain on the top and slightly inside of each knee. It seems okay once I'm warmed up but when I'm cold it aches when I squat down or go up stairs. I try hard to push my knees out and sit back. I'm wondering if it's just weak adductors. Have you heard of this problem before? i haven;t found anything on this thread so far.

Thanks for your time and advice!

Sounds like your standard prepatellar tendinitis, the kind which comes from squatting above parallel. Don't let this happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like your standard prepatellar tendinitis, the kind which comes from squatting above parallel. Don't let this happen to you.
    Ah-ha! That makes sense. I never really had any problem with knees until I started focusing on pushing my knees out and my butt back (because my lower back was rounding so much at the bottom). I guess my extremely inflexible body is preventing me from squating as deep in the proper position. I'll try lowering the weight and concentrate on squating deeper. Thanks for the insight!