starting strength gym

Thread: facial discoloration

Default facial discoloration

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Rip,

I'm sure that discoloration of the face in the form of little spots here and there after lifting is terribly common.

However, under my left eye, I will get what appears to be a small red swath of discoloration, about half an inch by 1/8 inch in diameter. I'm doing SS linear progression and it starts to show up after heavy squats, and comes into full fruition after the working set of deadlifts. It usually lasts the rest of the day and begins to fade at night, having almost completely disappeared by the following day. It looks as though I am beginning to get a black eye, only red like little post-lifting dots.

I have been doing SS for about 1 year due to some injuries and illness, but have only experienced this phenomenon in the last 2 months or so. Male, 27 yo, 225 lbs, 6' tall, no prior instances of this happening.

I have begun to notice that it my be getting worse, and after today's session was quite a lot worse from what it usually is.

Should I be concerned about this silly little thing, and do you have any experience in dealing with these sorts of things? Will this eventually become much worse, or become a permanent mark?

Thank you for your time on this stupid thing. It would be nice to be strong and not have a big ol blood blister under my eye all the time.

See your dermatologist.

Aside from seeing your dermatologist you could try being more aware of how and where your valsalva produces pressure the next time you workout. I found a couple of months ago that I sometimes "pushed" the valsalva pressure up into my head and face instead of keeping it in the trunk, resulting in bad spotting in the face and really not as much trunk stability as I wanted. So try to focus on "keeping" the pressure in the trunk and not the face.

I don't know if this makes any sense at all but I thought it might could be a possible problem.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    See your dermatologist.
    Ok, thank you Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergstedt View Post
    Aside from seeing your dermatologist you could try being more aware of how and where your valsalva produces pressure the next time you workout. I found a couple of months ago that I sometimes "pushed" the valsalva pressure up into my head and face instead of keeping it in the trunk, resulting in bad spotting in the face and really not as much trunk stability as I wanted. So try to focus on "keeping" the pressure in the trunk and not the face.

I don't know if this makes any sense at all but I thought it might could be a possible problem.

Good luck!
    Yes, that absolutely makes sense. Most of the time my valsalva ends up in my head, and the air I'm holding starts to get pushed up into my cheeks. I will definitely experiment with keeping it down. Thanks so much for the advice.

I'd get these in my torso flying fighter jets.....technical term is G-measles!

You valsalva so hard so the blood stays in your head (to avoid passing out), but at 231 pounds, pulling 8G, I now weighed 1848lbs!!......which feels like being trapped at the bottom of the squat with 1600lbs on the bar

There's so much blood pressure that the small capillaries burst and form small red spots.

As mentioned, being aware of where you're creating the pressure should help.