starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squats & farts

Default Squats & farts

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Coach,

Serious question about a serious problem...drinking that whole milk may "do a body good" but my system seems to produce lots of hideous gas to go along with it especially during squats.
    I deal with by nonchalantly walking a good distance from the squat rack & cutting a rat near the guy(s) who wear the "wife beaters", are covered acne & smell of the worst BO/steriod fumes.
    Is there a better time to drink milk that may lessen the gas attacks? Morning or night? I don't have a schedule but just drink it throughout the day.
    My girlfriend & dog would greatly appreciate your thoughts on farts as well.

Stevo

Your technique, when done silently, is referred to as Cropdusting. It makes me happy when this is done in the proper context, and your judgement here seems to be sound. You'll get used to the milk, and if you don't you'll still have hours of fun in your new sport. I am unaware of any diurnal flatulence variability. Worry not about this, and get some weightlifting shoes.

Sometimes I drop a stink bomb when the bar gets past the shins/knee caps on a PR attempt deadlift. It sounds like a chainsaw sometimes. Hazard of the game I guess.

Mark, just wanted to say that you are doing a fantastic job on here. Your responses are hilarious and sig worthy.

I got a million of 'em.

When I first started squatting and deadlifting heavy I would do explosive farts. I work out in a small gym at my university, usually its just me in the small weights area and then a few pretty girls on treadmills. There's something distinctively character building about learning to shrug-off ear-shattering farts done in front of attractive women.

Let 'er rip!

(the problem stopped after a few weeks. There must have been some stage 2 adaptation occurring in the muscles responsible for holding back farts.)

I find drinking milk slowly helps. Just sip it. Also eating slowly and chewing your food thoroughly helps too.

Default Girlfriend not thrilled w/ response from Uncle Rip...

She has now affectionately/sarcastically renamed "Starting Strength" to "Farting Strength".
    Have the weightlifting shoes & wow, those non-crushable soles have taken my ability to cropdust or splatter a juicy one on the girlfriend to a new magnitude of ferocity.

BTW, won't be able to make the CF in Olathe, but if you're not familiar w/ KC, I lived there 10 years & places you gotta eat are as follows:

fried chicken: Stroud's
    mexican: Manny's
    BBQ: Gates

Tong sounds like a fun guy. And we have eaten at Gates, not too impressed; the Branding Iron in WF is FAR better.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewfasa View Post
    When I first started squatting and deadlifting heavy I would do explosive farts.
    Perhaps similarly to grunting, a controlled explosive fart can increase pressure and help with the lift. But only if you fart in chords.

Damn I learn a lot surfing the forums.

starting strength coach development program
    I strongly advise against intentionally farting whilst moving heavy weights. Sometimes -- especially under those circumstances -- farts have a solid center.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast