starting strength gym

Thread: starting strength & postponing strength

Default starting strength & postponing strength

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So Ive really tried to do the program, but unfortunately I appear to be made of glass and everything has broken, the Press is about the only thing I can currently do without pain.

Left rotator went about a year ago after training chest bro-style with a friend for 1 session (never again). Unable to bench since then and never even attempted a clean, had physio for 6 months but at £30 every 2 weeks it was too pricey and no results anyway. Awaiting a musculo skeletal appointment late this month for that.

Ran the program without bench, cleans, added in more pressing and rows.

Deadlifting seemed to be going well until I got to around 120kg and started having some low back pain from rounding which I couldnt eliminate. Switched to trap bar deadlifts so i could continue the program (although not really the program at this point) to protect my back. All was going well until I pulled 145kg for 5. I had to really drag that bastard up, and felt a stiff back for a week or so afterwards, enough to skip deadlifts the next couple of sessions anyway.

Squats were ok although I had been stalled a couple of times, but deloaded, increased calories and pushed through fine, up to 102kg now. Just before xmas I had a very stiff lower back, right at the bottom above the coccyx. It hurt when I bend over to put my socks on, or even leaning forward on the toilet. I had a PT watch me squat and he said I had a bit of buttwink in the hole, a similar rounding to that of deadlifts, but it felt normal to me so I guess Id been doing that all along. He recommended to stretch my hamstrings, wear a belt for the worksets and not go beyond parallel. Ive squatted twice since then, both times able to set a new PR with LP but so much pain afterwards. I couldn't even sit down the last time. Now its like Im aware of a dull ache in my spine when Im just walking around.

Im confused as to what it is thats the problem, I think the pain was initially caused by deadlift 145 and squatting with buttwink has just made it a lot worse, whereas before the buttwink wasnt causing any pain at all on squats. That may have been because the weight wasnt heavy enough to cause pain?? Though I'm sure 80kg the first time felt as heavy as 100kg the first time..

Anyone have an opinion or similar problem they've been able to work through?
    Last edited by Reemslaw; 01-05-2016 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reemslaw View Post
    Im confused as to what it is thats the problem
    Uhh... here's your problem...

started having some low back pain from rounding which I couldnt eliminate.
    squatting with buttwink has just made it a lot worse,
    You should get some proper coaching on these movement patterns. Carl Raghavan is over there. Look up him and pay him a visit.