starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Morning

Default Early Morning

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Had jury duty today so I hit the gym earlier today then usual (5:30 am instead of 7:30 am), squating was a bitch. Anyone else notice lifting earlier then normal being a problem and is deloading about 10% recommended?

Can't say on deloading but I know I am fairly stiff first thing when I wake up, which is why I plan gym time towards the end of the day.

I remember reading that you don't reach your full strength until 4 hours after you wake up.I can't seem to find it on google though.

I have no idea if this is true but I've noticed that I'm weaker in the morning the same as you.

Coffee + more rest per set + coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    I remember reading that you don't reach your full strength until 4 hours after you wake up.I can't seem to find it on google though.

I have no idea if this is true but I've noticed that I'm weaker in the morning the same as you.
    I've actually read that people are stronger in the afternoons, regardless of when they wake up. You'll have to google for sources, but I do find that working out after 3 PM is my sweet spot.

I am the opposite. I feel groggy working out in the afternoon.

But with that said, I have been training early in the morning pretty consistently for over a year now. I bet some of it is whatever your body is used to.

My normal routine:

Sleep by 9:30pm

Wake up between 5am-5:20am
    Start my coffee
    Drink my oats and whey
    Drink my coffee while taking a dump
    Gym before 6am

Works great for me

I also tend to think it's a personal difference. Some people wake up ready to go and can hit the gym full force when it's still dark outside. My body would stage a rebellion if I tried that crap. Afternoons work the best for me.

I work out early mornings because it is the only time I am able to do so. I typically am asleep between 9 and 9:30, wake up at 5am, take care of the dog, have one scoop whey in milk while the dog does his thing, and eat a banana in the car en route to the gym. Usually get there around 5:30 or a few minutes after. I'll be the first to agree it's not ideal, but it is what it is. I do not drink coffee, but I do not feel like I need it. I feel plenty awake at the gym, and do not think my strength suffers much, but then, I've never lifted at another time, so who knows.

Personally, I have found working out in the early morning to be great in terms of my attitude and energy for the rest of the day. Of course, it's entirely possible that I've convinced myself of the benefits of early morning lifting.

The only time I have it first thing in the AM so I am home by 8. About every other weekend I work out later and notice that the bar goes up easier. So the conventional wisdom applies for me.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been working out in the mornings for the past 5 years. It was hard at first, but it works well for me. It's mainly due to ensuring that I make time to work out because sometimes at work, I can end up unexpectedly staying late, or have something to attend to right after.

Actually, the afternoon is the worst possible time for me to lift. Anytime past 12 PM (if I lift on a weekend) is a terrible workout.

But, I also do well working out at night (after 8:30)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast