starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiment with Junior High Kids I'm going to start next week...

Default Experiment with Junior High Kids I'm going to start next week...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok, I teach junior high kids (industrial technology) - and we'll be in the wood shop from next week until May. I think I've decided to take one of my classes - a group of 8th graders and I'm going to teach all the kids to press. 3x per week they'll press off jerk boxes.

I will only have the boys do it and wont force anyone to do it. Most will want to out of pure fun - it will only take about 5 min per day to just press for these kids and they can do it while they work int he shop. I'm sure a couple will just choose not to, but I'm sure I can keep at least 10-15 kids interested out of that class from now till summer break just to see what progress they can make in a 10 week period.

I'm doing this not to prove my worth as a coach, but to show when the goals/ standards are set HIGH, and when kids COMPETE then you'd be amazed at the progres they'll make.

So we can just see how ~15 13-14 year old kids can learn and progress on the press in a non-weightroom environment, just having fun in class in a few minutes of downtime.

This sounds amazing. Can't wait to hear about your results.

Will be interesting to watch the progress. Also, if you can pull it off (teaching class and pressing) then you sir are most definitely a very fine coach bordering on cat herder territory.

Why only the boys?

Just to be clear - the kids will NOT be performing the SS program or squatting or anything of that matter (and it would help their press tremendously if they did) - but I just want to show you that virtually every kid can improve their press dramatically regardless of genetics in a 10 week period if they use correct form, work hard, have high standards, and compete with each other.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by xcardiobunny View Post
    Why only the boys?
    because junior high girls complain, cry, and sue.

Matt, we had a discussion in another thread about something that sort of applies here. One poster, Tom Narvaez, had very good success in the initial stages of SS, and so have all his training partners. Their success has been enough above the norm that we were investigating reasons why this might be the case. The one common denominator was their age (all between 16-20 years old I believe). This is in comparison to many here who start the program at various older ages.

If you don't mind answering, my question to you is twofold:
    1- Do you believe that potential early gains are greater on SS for the teenage demographic than for older people?
    2- If yes, why? If no, why?

I will let you know that our speculation was that it might be easier for them since they have not gone through a long sedentary period in their lives as many older SS newbies have. The older guys who tend to succeed quickly seem to be those who have stayed active in some other manner. But I am also curious if you think its a hormonal issue too. Is that age just a great time for getting big and strong quickly?

Thanks.

PS. Tom, if I got any information wrong about you or your training buddies, please correct. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Matt, we had a discussion in another thread about something that sort of applies here. One poster, Tom Narvaez, had very good success in the initial stages of SS, and so have all his training partners. Their success has been enough above the norm that we were investigating reasons why this might be the case. The one common denominator was their age (all between 16-20 years old I believe). This is in comparison to many here who start the program at various older ages.

If you don't mind answering, my question to you is twofold:
    1- Do you believe that potential early gains are greater on SS for the teenage demographic than for older people?
    2- If yes, why? If no, why?

I will let you know that our speculation was that it might be easier for them since they have not gone through a long sedentary period in their lives as many older SS newbies have. The older guys who tend to succeed quickly seem to be those who have stayed active in some other manner. But I am also curious if you think its a hormonal issue too. Is that age just a great time for getting big and strong quickly?

Thanks.

PS. Tom, if I got any information wrong about you or your training buddies, please correct. Thanks.
    To be honest, I don't know. Its probably easier for kids, but pretty much everyone I've ever trained is under 30. I don't like old people very much, unless they are grisled and strong an awesome already. Everyone has a weakness in coaching. I would definitely say mine is coaching people over 40, as I have a general lack of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    To be honest, I don't know. Its probably easier for kids, but pretty much everyone I've ever trained is under 30. I don't like old people very much, unless they are grisled and strong an awesome already. Everyone has a weakness in coaching. I would definitely say mine is coaching people over 40, as I have a general lack of experience.
    Gotcha, thanks for the honest response.

starting strength coach development program
    Pressing 3 times a week = 12 times a month
    Starting Strength has you pressing 6 times a month. Would it really be surprising they do better?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast