starting strength gym

Thread: Arm pain - non-specific location

Default Arm pain - non-specific location

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I was wondering if you might have an idea of how to deal with an injury I've developed. I'm fairly sure it's down to having the bar in the low-bar position on squats, and maybe not having my elbows high enough.

The pain kind of moves around... Sometimes it feels as if it's on the top of my lower arm, near the elbow. Sometimes it feels more like on the inside of my upper arm near the elbow, and sometimes on the inside of my lower arm near the elbow. It hurts if I push something towards my body... So like if I put my palm to my face and push.

It's just in my left arm. I know there's less flexibility in my left shoulder than my right. There's always a much more pronounced red mark on the left side of my upper back after squatting than there is on the right.

Today I did high-bar squats instead, and it was obviously less of a stretch, but I still felt the pain doing bench presses and chins afterwards. The pain isn't exactly acute, and like I say, it's difficult to pinpoint.

How bad does it hurt? Does it keep you up at night?

No it doesn't keep me up at night, but it's getting steadily worse.

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...t_bar_position

EDIT: If you fix your bar position but the elbow/arm thing is still bothering you, get a massage. Some foam roller/lacross ball work might help too. Has for me, in the past.

I found relief by doing doorway stretches before squatting, and then doing some more between squats. I also took a lacrosse ball to various trigger points around the shoulder.