starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a power rack now confused about bench!

Wink Just bought a power rack now confused about bench!

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just purchased this power rack 2 days ago, yet to assemble it, can't wait.

http://www.bodysolid.com/home/GPR378...Pro_Power_Rack

Now I’m looking for a bench, I know SS does not include lifts like the incline and decline bench press so I’m really confused if I should buy a simple flat bench or get the ones that go decline/incline too? I just don’t want to feel dumb after some years and regret buying a flat bench only (or I am worrying too much about decline/incline bench press?)
    Some benches are 22” high and some are 17”. Was wondering what’s the ideal height of a bench?
    Thanks in advance.

The rack at the link has a plate & pully system built-in. If you bought that, you are planning to do exercises outside SS anyway, right? So get the incline-adjustable bench.

I have the rogue flat utility bench, which is 17.5" high. It fits me quite nicely, I am 5'10".

A competition bench is 17" high, 12" wide, and 48" long. Most benches are not the proper size. They are 10" wide to where your shoulders fall off and 20-25"+ high, to where you can't use any leg drive. And the ones that are the proper size, are expensive. If you ever bench on a competition size bench, you'll realize immediately why they are that size.

No, I just bought this for SS/strictly free weight/bodyweight training only

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Have weights and bar so just need a bench.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    The rack at the link has a plate & pully system built-in. If you bought that, you are planning to do exercises outside SS anyway, right? So get the incline-adjustable bench.

I have the rogue flat utility bench, which is 17.5" high. It fits me quite nicely, I am 5'10".
    So 17" height it is... can you suggest a good one in the bodysolid lineup? I think GFI21 is the only one that would suffice. I am confused to go for a flat only bench or the one with decline/incline options? SS and the best programs don't really have incline/decline bench presses in their protocol so was wondering what to do?
    Quote Originally Posted by KAG View Post
    A competition bench is 17" high, 12" wide, and 48" long. Most benches are not the proper size. They are 10" wide to where your shoulders fall off and 20-25"+ high, to where you can't use any leg drive. And the ones that are the proper size, are expensive. If you ever bench on a competition size bench, you'll realize immediately why they are that size.
    Last edited by Rockfella; 12-30-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Default adding content

Just got my rogue bench a few months ago. Thing is pretty solid. I weigh 215 my brother weighs 240 and it will support both of us and our bench weights (250 210 respectively). I was told it supported enough weight to where a lbs supported rating wasnt necessary.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-fl...lity-bench.php

Well the bench shouldn't be too high because you want your feet to be able to be flat on the floor.

I know that Rip talks about using the incline bench press as a useful assistance exercise in Starting Strength.

So incline it is, what about decline?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
    Well the bench shouldn't be too high because you want your feet to be able to be flat on the floor.

I know that Rip talks about using the incline bench press as a useful assistance exercise in Starting Strength.

How about the tunturi bench? Your bench is not available in my country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    Just got my rogue bench a few months ago. Thing is pretty solid. I weigh 215 my brother weighs 240 and it will support both of us and our bench weights (250 210 respectively). I was told it supported enough weight to where a lbs supported rating wasnt necessary.

http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-fl...lity-bench.php

starting strength coach development program
    another thing to consider is the weight capacity. A lot of the cheaper ones have a 250-300 pound weight capacity listed so if you weigh over 200 pounds that leaves you little capacity left for the weights. I use the Deltch Fitness flat bench which is 48" long,12" wide and 17.5" from floor to top of bench. It also has a 800 pound weight capacity and was $99 shipped. Not sure if they ship internationally though.

http://www.fitnessdestination.com/mm...Yes&Quantity=1
    Last edited by tcul1972; 12-30-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast