starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt pain from increased body fat?

Default Belt pain from increased body fat?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've consistently been putting on weight for a long time, when I started training somewhat consistently I was about 74kg, now 90kg. My body fat percentage would be somewhere in the mid twenties. Its only been in the past three or four weeks that my belt has been giving me issues, I use a 13mm Strength Shop single prong belt. I've been using it for squats and deadlifts without a problem the whole time, but now it pinches like a motherfucker and bruises, despite experimenting with belt positioning. I've tried out some thinner belts but I haven't found a solution yet, but still considering the 3 inch belt.

My question would be is the belly fat the main culprit? If I lost a few inches on the stomach I imagine it wouldn't be a problem again. Thoughts? For you guys that get this pain, have you gotten used to it? Has weight gain negatively affected your ability to set up well or get a comfortable belt position in the deadlift?

I'm possibly the fattest guy on the board and I can manage, so you can too. Where are you getting pinching? Between the belly and the hip bone? I wear my belt lower, over the hip bones so that it doesn't pinch for squats. Or you can use it as motivation to get up again...

Should have clarified, perfectly fine during the squat. Its just difficult at the moment to get into the proper deadlift position with the pain. I generally wear the belt quite low, and it pinches at the bottom and the top of the belt, but more so between the belly and hip. I might just need to loosen it up a bit, or stop being a kitten.

RIP once wrote about angling the belt in the deadlift so it's lower at the front and higher at the back. Izzy once suggested wearing a print belt backwards for deadlift (though this requires a partner). I just sick it up, others like a 3 inch belt. How tall are you?

Wear the belt higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    I'm possibly the fattest guy on the board

Whoa now son

Quote Originally Posted by The_GOAT View Post
    Whoa now son
    Hey, percentage wise I reckon I've got you beat

im 5'10 240 and shaped like a boiler, and I need the 3" belt for deadlifts.

So lose some fat. Pretty simple.

My belt pinches my belly fat during deadlifts too, but WGAF? Learn to live with the discomfort, and pull heavy weights. For me, the thrill of training to increase my deadlift outweighs any temporary discomfort I earned by being fat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Wear the belt higher.
    Ditto. After reading some suggestions on here I wear mine (a 4in one) one hole looser for deads and pretty high. Sometimes I get down into the pull position so that the belt shifts to where it wants to be first too. But I'm a tall, lanky mofo and I wear mine for deads mostly for a physical cue and not so much for the valsalva.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast