starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Light weight feels pretty heavy?

Question Light weight feels pretty heavy?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I decided to do SS even though I might be too advanced for it but I think I can grind a lot out of it through microloading. I decided to program my 5RM into week 6 like Rip says.

This means the first 6 weeks are weight I can do but with more volume. But all the weights feel heavy except with power clean. I dropped my lifts by like 40-90 pounds.

My 5RM are:
    Squat - 295x5
    Bench - 200x5
    Deadlift - 315x5
    Press - 125x5
    Power Clean - 205x5

I am 17.
    5' 7"
    188 pounds

It is mainly bench press. I benched 170 @ 3x5 last Friday and it felt heavy, unbalanced, and my forearms felt all the weight and I use a pronated grip with perfect form like the book says.

I tried uploading a video to YouTube but the fucking thing keeps failing. My form is perfect with all the lifts. That is not what's in debate, it's why 170 feels ridiculously heavy and same thing with squat. I expected 90 pounds off my squat would be easy but it's not fast to come up. FYI I squat high bar ATG so my squat is really advanced.

It was like this when I ran the Texas Method. I squatted 300x3 but I actually just sat on my calves for a few secs in the last 2 reps because I thought I could not get up. I thought there was no way in fucking hell I was getting up but I did.

Even if I somehow overtrained, two weeks of light weight on SS would have fixed that. Like I said I subtracted 40-90 pounds off my lifts. There is just no way to figure out how much weight to increase since all weight feels heavy.

I get all the reps when I lift. I just don't like my warm ups feeling like I am gonna fail then get all my working set reps. WTH?

Is this normal? Nothing feels light anymore except maybe the bar. I am eating and still gaining weight. Before I started lifting I was a 137 pound skinny faggot.

Weight is heavy. That's why they call it weight.

It just feels like I am gonna stall out before I hit week 6 and I am doing everything right. 125 pounds feels heavy. If my 1RM is 230 how can 125 feel heavy? It's killing my enthusiasm.

Quit worrying about it. Don't think about stalling. Think about completing the sets and reps you have prescribed. If you think about failing, you're going to fail.

Alright. Thought I was overtrained or something.

I think you should take into consideration progression; There are reasons you don't bench 185 day in and day out until it seems 'light' or easy and then move up to 195.

This isn't 'exactly*' true but it is true: Let's say workout 1 was 100# and it was 'heavy' and you add weight to the bar as you progress. Won't it 'always' be heavy?

*Sometimes the vagaries of life enable one to nail a weight, making it seem 'light.' Other times, one fails. But "200 pounds is always 200 pounds." (Henry Rollins, I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Murphy View Post
    I think you should take into consideration progression; There are reasons you don't bench 185 day in and day out until it seems 'light' or easy and then move up to 195.

This isn't 'exactly*' true but it is true: Let's say workout 1 was 100# and it was 'heavy' and you add weight to the bar as you progress. Won't it 'always' be heavy?

*Sometimes the vagaries of life enable one to nail a weight, making it seem 'light.' Other times, one fails. But "200 pounds is always 200 pounds." (Henry Rollins, I think.)
    I appreciate the feedback. Bodybuilding.com sucks. Rip said in SS that weightlifting is like Astrology in a way because a lot of it is unexplainable.
    Last edited by Kaplowitz; 10-27-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplowitz View Post
    FYI I squat high bar ATG so my squat is really advanced.
    The word "so" implies causation, while I don't even see correlation. How does your style of squat show that you're advanced?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaplowitz View Post
    I appreciate the feedback. Bodybuilding.com sucks. Rip said in SS that weightlifting is like Astrology in a way because a lot of it is unexplainable.
    Actually, what he says is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Starting Strength: Kindle Location 810
    It seems likely that barbell training would be more efficiently performed if it had more in common with engineering than with astrology -- more like physics class than birthday party -- and it would be more effectively coached if it were developed from mechanics rather than folklore.
    More to your point though, sometimes weight just feels heavy. Ignore how it feels and go for it anyway. 405 felt like it was just not going to go back up last week, but it didn't stop me from hitting 500. If it consistently feels heavier than it should, check your recovery (food and sleep, mostly).
    Last edited by Sean Herbison; 10-27-2013 at 06:24 PM.

[QUOTE=PEBCAK;769474]The word "so" implies causation, while I don't even see correlation. How does your style of squat show that you're advanced?

I was wondering the same thing.

starting strength coach development program
    I took it to mean that his squat numbers are more advanced than they seem due to using a harder variation of the squat.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast