starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Struggling with OHP

Default Struggling with OHP

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Re-training to correct form issues and having a pretty bad time of it. Trying to coordinate hip flexion, core tension, breathing, bar path, etc all together has proven difficult and frustrating. Do I need to do more repetitions with just the bar?

You need more repetitions, with a bar & weight, in a video, posted here or in the coaches Q&A.

Post a video so we can help sort out exactly what you need to work on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Well put mg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I struggled with the press for a while, then I almost instantly added about 10% to it when I started getting my hands just a bit outside my shoulders, elbows in front of the bar, chest and shoulders tight, and a BIG breath before the lift. Those you can do as you set up for each rep, if you give yourself a routine. I keep my elbows in, as well. Seems to work better for me than letting them flare. Probably the biggest help was from keeping the bar close enough to brush my short beard on the way up as well as down, so the bar path was as straight as possible. I practiced with a broomstick, and with an empty bar, and still do.

I still don't feel like I have the timing on the hip thrust down yet - I'm not feeling any push - and I may have to get some individual coaching on that next time I'm in a city with an SS coach, but my press is definitely a lot more respectable than it was, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Or just fix that one thing that leads to the other things and prevents the good thing from being a thing.
    Any chance you're being overly prescriptive about stuff?

Some sets done tonight. Playlist here. Weight gradually increased in-between most sets, stopped at 105 lbs. Fast-forward 20 seconds or so through most of these to get to the lifts. Might wanna rotate display 180 degrees as well.

I should be doing better but I think I am still having trouble coordinating the hip thrust most of all, but also with keeping my lower back straight. I am supposed to breathe in, then flex my stomach? Is there a right and wrong way to do this part?

Why latex gloves? Get a real belt. Don't snap your head back. The bar should bounce with the rebound of the hips. Squeeze your butt tight. Flex your abs. Flex your quads. Then bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    Some sets done tonight. Playlist here. Weight gradually increased in-between most sets, stopped at 105 lbs. Fast-forward 20 seconds or so through most of these to get to the lifts. Might wanna rotate display 180 degrees as well.

I should be doing better but I think I am still having trouble coordinating the hip thrust most of all, but also with keeping my lower back straight. I am supposed to breathe in, then flex my stomach? Is there a right and wrong way to do this part?
    Yeah, you're not using your hips correctly. Get your air, get tight, contract your rectus abs (6-pack muscles) and quads, then reach forward with the hips, rather than overextend the spine. You need to create (and wait for) the rebound off the hip extension to press. What's up with the gloves? Do you have some kind of hand injury?

starting strength coach development program
    Hand model?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast