starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed on bench today, after first microload. Could use some advice.

Default Failed on bench today, after first microload. Could use some advice.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Recently started benching for the first time, having previously only done dips.

I started at 155 lb in mid October, and added 5.5lb each bench workout (which I alternate with presses).

When I got to 177 lb, I started adding 4.4 lb each workout, and that carried me through to 190.2 lb (3 sets of 5). On that last workout, the last rep of the third set was barely there, so I decide to microload.

So today I did 192.4 lb, and made the first two sets of 5, and then failed on 4th rep of the last set.

I'm still experimenting with grip width and the amount of horizontal displacement I allow, so there may be room to tighten up form. My plan is to reset to around 185lb and microload from there (with 2.2 lb increments).

Does this sound like a good plan? Or would I be best served adding a light day at this point, or switching to triples? When I was dipping, I was up to 100 lb around belt for 3 sets of 5 earlier in the spring.

Age 39, bw 181 lb, height 5'9.5
    Last edited by spacediver; 12-02-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Just repeat it next workout.

I can do that. Will report back on Wednesday with results

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    How long have you been training? Repeat the weight once, maybe twice. No resets though, it's probably time to move on.
    Been training bench since mid October. But I feel that the dipping background means I probably am exhausting my novice gains in bench faster than I would have otherwise done.

I agree. That's why the total training time is important. If you don't get the reps within the next two sessions, you'll have some decisions that need to be made.
    Thanks, I'll post back here after my next two bench sessions, and update the thread.

Would not be a bad idea to post a video to the technique thread for a form check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

Quote Originally Posted by Kelli Nielson View Post
    Would not be a bad idea to post a video to the technique thread for a form check.
    Thanks Kelli, I'll try to sneak in a shot next time I bench. No filming allowed at my gym, but if the opportunity arises I'll do so.

Quote Originally Posted by spacediver View Post
    No filming allowed at my gym, but if the opportunity arises I'll do so.
    You keep mentioning this; what is the gym's stupid reasoning?

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    You keep mentioning this; what is the gym's stupid reasoning?
    From the policies:

Photography and recording devices, including the use of camera phones, are prohibited in all facilities. Exceptions can be made only with advance permission of the Faculty’s communications office.
    I assume it's for privacy concerns. People don't want to end up with their faces or asses on display to the world without their consent.

starting strength coach development program
    Now that the verbiage is clear, have you requested permission in advance?
    The last time I filmed myself there I got caught. I had the entire oly lifting room to myself, nobody was there. Then one of the junior coaches comes out an office, sees me, and tattles to a staff member outside about me filming. Staff member comes in, and says sorry no filming allowed. I pleaded my case, said it was really important as I wanted to see if I was flexing my back on the deadlift. He was unrelenting, but agreed that was a bit of an unfortunate rule. I don't imagine requesting permission in advance would work. The times there are filming, there are multiple notices warning members saying which areas are being filmed and for how long, so I don't think they'd allow it for something as insignificant as a form check for a single member. Still, can't hurt to ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast