starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can ONLY squat - help with programming

Default I can ONLY squat - help with programming

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So I'm an intermediate who was until recently cruising along with my first cycle of a true 531 program.

I've been dealing with an elbow problem for about 4+ months now, finally went to get an MRI, and it turns out I have a partial tear of the extensor tendon at the epicondyle attachment. Shit.

Had a stem cell injection and now it's a waiting game. Can't really use my arm for anything significant for at least a few months. My only hope to avoid surgery is to make sure I don't injure it further and allow it to (hopefully) heal.

So basically I can only squat. I guess it could be worse...

What I'm looking for is some programming advice on the squat since that's about all I can do.

I relatively recently switched to 531 so I've only been squatting once a week, doing FSL and jokers and all that. But honestly I haven't really settled into 531 yet so everything is up in the air right now in terms of programming.

My 1RM on the squat is 380 at a bw of about 200 (crazy how much weight you lose when you don't train/eat as much/take creatine for 3 weeks).

Anyone think I could benefit from more aggressive squat programming for the next few months, or should I just stick with one balls out session a week plus some conditioning?
    Last edited by dsiomtw; 03-17-2016 at 09:56 AM.

I would definitely squat more than 1x per week if that was all I could do. I like lifting more than 1x per week.

You probably could do TM or HLM and squat 3x/week. If you wanted to stay 531 you could:

M 531 + FSL multiple sets
    W 531 5s day, nothing extra, no AMRAP
    F 531 + Jokers

I vote for texas method orrr if you really wanted to push the lift you could do the smolov base or smolov jr

I vote TM too.
    “The woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet.”
    ― Mohadesa Najumi

You could probably do more than just Squat. Have you got access to a hyperextension bench or a GHR? Machines are also your friend, the chesty ones. Get creative man! You're going to need to get some dedicated back work in there, in particular to help with the Squat if you intend to go balls out with it.

I told myself if I ever tore a bicep or something like that I'd do Smolov with Safety Bar Squats. I had a friend who did something similar and the quad/upperback strength he gained led him to nearly immediately PR his deadlift when the bicep was mostly rehabbed and he set massive squat PRs after his first 3-4 month squat cycle of being healthy. Pushed his SSB squat up to like 600+ during that period from 500ish.

Thanks for the replies ya'll. Squatting is about the only thing that doesn't seem to hurt my elbow. Machines at the gym are out, except for maybe leg press but I'd rather squat. I can't do shit with my arm without risking tearing it more. I'd go for the safety bar, but $400? I dunno 'bout that. I might try some simple straps around the bar?? TM or Smolov it is. I've heard of that bad boy but don't know much about it so tonight I'll learn about Smolov....
    Last edited by dsiomtw; 03-17-2016 at 07:12 PM.

ummm...one arm deadlift and single arm dumbbell press...

I would never do any type of training that primarily uses just one side of my body.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dsiomtw View Post
    I would never do any type of training that primarily uses just one side of my body.
    And why not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast