starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleep Deprived, confused

Default Sleep Deprived, confused

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys, so I'm deployed and I'm coming off a hiatus and gaining some strength back with SS but I can't keep devoting 2+ hours to the gym. if I spend much more than an hour in the gym I'm depriving myself of sleep, (getting less than six hours a night) what do you guys recommend I do? I really want to train for strength, but it just isn't going to keep working with my time constraints. Is there a way I could condense the program or should I just forget about SS until I get back to the States to devote the required time necessary? Thanks guys!

Yes.. Simplify more. You can get solid work done in 45 no problem.

1. It is my understanding that one of the benefits of 5x5 (as opposed to 3x5) is that your working at a lower percentage of your 1RM. Which I understand to have the benefit that less recovery time is needed between sets. i.e. Total volume of weight lifted (aka work) is the same. BioLayne Video Log 28 - Using Training Volume and Failure Appropriately - YouTube (But then technically your not "doing the program")

2. Im a relative beginner, but I find that I can superset my warmups to save some time, i.e. warm up for bench while resting in between squat work sets.

First off - if you are limited with time overall, begin monitoring your between-set rest. As you are able, shorten the time. I think 8-10 minutes is a massive waste. You can train yourself to work with 3-5 minutes - it just takes a little bit of time to get used to it. As a first approach, simply monitor & record the rest times.

Second - Add weight wherever you can and whenever you can. More weight on the bar means you are stronger. Especially since you aren't getting enough sleep.

Third - There are some decent programs that can be done in an hour, twice per week. For example, you could try this:
    A Session: Bench / Row / Shrugs / Press / Pulldowns (or chins) / Squats
    B Session: Incline bench / pullovers / deadlifts / dips / curls

Using up to sets of 8 for upper body exercises, up to 12 for deadlifts and 20 for squats. Push as hard as you absolutely can, and add weight once you've earned it by completing all the sets & reps. One hour per session would be plenty sufficient, and you'd cover the entire body in the course of a week.

Hope these ideas help. Best of luck to you!

Do warmups for your second lift between working sets of your first lift. If that doesn't cut enough time, you may want to only do two lifts per workout. If you can workout every day you can separate upper and lower alternating days.

I like these sleep deprived threads. I get 6 hours on a good night, usually interrupted (small kids), have a stupid work schedule, sometimes get 7 hours, sometimes get 4 hours. Sometimes I just plain can't sleep. It's cool getting older

Anyway, I found that spreading SS over 5 days after a few months of the standard 3 day helped my recovery tremendously. Having shorter sessions seemed to hit me much less, recovery wise. When I was doing multiple "big lifts" on one day, I was feeling slammed for 2 days after. Spread out, I feel OK.

Right now I'm doing the 4 day Texas Method, with satisfactory results. I did cut the SS short, after losing momentum during the holidays.

The other thing I found that helped: Not futzing around with warmups. I was wasting so much time with them, in between "sets". Now I do 10 reps empty bar, put plates on, 5 reps, put plates on, 2 reps, put plates on, 2 reps, etc... no wait time. I also cut my wait time between work sets down to 5 minutes at the most.

The combination of spreading SS up over 5 days and busting ass with the warmups cut my longest day down to 45 minutes. That's about where I'm at with Texas Method Volume Day Squats right now (my longest day).

Quote Originally Posted by dhalli View Post
    I like these sleep deprived threads. I get 6 hours on a good night, usually interrupted (small kids), have a stupid work schedule, sometimes get 7 hours, sometimes get 4 hours. Sometimes I just plain can't sleep. It's cool getting older
    Yep. I gave up on trying to sleep quite a while ago.

Putting the Hanley "Bat Signal" out.

can you train 4 days a week? I'd do
    mon: squat 5 x 3, bench 5 x 3
    tue: press 5 x 3, deadlift 5 x 1
    thu: squat 5 x 3, bench 5 x 3
    fri: press 5 x 3, power clean 3 x 5

then add chinups between sets where you can.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    1. It is my understanding that one of the benefits of 5x5 (as opposed to 3x5) is that your working at a lower percentage of your 1RM.
    5x5s take longer, are more difficult, and require more recovery. None of these things would be appropriate for the OP who lacks time and isn't sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob R View Post
    2. Im a relative beginner, but I find that I can superset my warmups to save some time, i.e. warm up for bench while resting in between squat work sets.
    This is a good idea, however.

OP, give yourself an hour in the gym. Try this:

M: Squat, Press
    W: Bench, Deadlift
    F: Squat, Press

Alternate bench for press the week thereafter. Make small jumps in weight, and/or only go up in weight once a week. Do a few sets of chins twice a week. Maybe between sets, or at the end of the workout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast