starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift / Press Form Checks

Default Deadlift / Press Form Checks

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just looking for some form checks. In from college for a week and left my belt/Chuck's/straps/chalk there, so everything in this video is in socks and 100% raw. I don't get to take many videos at school, so I took a lot tonight (I condensed them on YouTube so that I don't take up too much of your time...). Didn't use regular programming today, just sort of went by feel (something I don't normally do).

Here are the Deads. Did 135x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315x1 (video), 365x1 (video), 335x3 (video), 365x1 again (video). Had a bad, long-lasting lower back injury, and have just been getting back into Deads (reintroducing Squats on Monday). I felt like these were pretty decent, but I could be wrong, and would appreciate any advice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y6uLk4Rt5M.

Here are the Presses. Did 45x10, 95x5, 135x3, 145x3 (video), 155x3 (video), 155x3 again (video), 135x6. JUST starting to teach myself the more olympic form that Rip has been advocating, and I clearly don't have the hang of it yet because these are way too strict. In fact, I had more hip movement / better layback in the version where I DIDN'T reset at the bottom of each rep (my old style). Do I just suck at these and need to practice, or do I need to brace my abs harder, or is there something glaringly wrong with my form, or what? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTX-ZzDzXKM

Sorry about the walls of text and quantity of videos, but I'd really appreciate the critiques. I know I need to stop wearing cutoff shirts (at least until I gain 20+ lbs).
    Last edited by Domjo54; 11-20-2011 at 01:27 AM.

Not commenting on the deads because I didn't look.

The press does get a mention however.

You have to decide early on whether you want to have a strict press (less layback & more arm dominant) or you want an olympic press (violent hip movement x 2).

If you want a strict press, you're looking good. You do utilize your hips occasionally, but nothing that would compel me to hit you over the head. For a strict press, you tense every muscle you have and then push. Pretty simple really.

If, however, you want a olympic press, you should start working on this.

1) Mental focus (This grows to be more important as the weight increases, but the mental focus has to be HUGE. You have to have an incredible drive to push that weight up)
    2) Grip that bar like a prepubescent teenager afraid of roller-coasters. (The strength of your grip will translate into more or less muscle recruitment. Grip it like a weenie and the surrounding muscles will push like a weenie)
    3) Contract your quads, cavles, glutes, and abdominals like you're about to explode. (This will provide the base for your hip explosion. It's much easier to transfer force through a rigid object as opposed to a soft/yielding object - think hitting someone with a bag full of gold bars as opposed to a bag full of feathers. KEEP IT TIGHT!)
    4) Hold your breath. (Valsalva maneuver)
    5) Bend like a bow WHILE maintaining TIGHT ABDOMINALS (This is key. Don't you dare loosen your abs in order to be able to bend more; it completely defeats the purpose. And, when I say bend like a bow, I mean push your hips forward while maintaining a tight "core" [Forgive me Rip for using the cursed word])
    6) EXPLODE Up! (If you go back to number 1, and you've maintained your mental focus to this point, the bar should FLY UP)
    7) MOVE your chest UNDER the bar. (This is much harder to verbalize/type than it is to see. Look at a video of Rip teaching the press and watch how his trainees move under the bar)

Good luck.
    Last edited by Ello; 11-20-2011 at 02:22 AM.

Ello, thanks very much for the response. I have just been trying out the Olympic variation lately to see how I like it before I make the full-on switch, and I will definitely use your tips when I try them again this week.

Anyone on the DLs? I'd much appreciate some feedback.

Anybody?

No one loves you.

Therefore, I will comment.

Basics first.

1) 1 inch from shins (I think you do this)
    2) Set your grip. (You do this)
    3) Bend at the knees so that shins touch bar (You do this)
    4) Flatten your back by pushing your ass out NOT YOUR HIPS down (You, unfortunately, point your ass DOWN and your hips follow. Notice that before every deadlift your hips rise and your back bows every so slightly. Why? Because your starting hip position is too damn low. I'll repeat myself:

Flatten your back by pushing your ass out, DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS.
    5)Deep breath
    6) Squeeze your chest together (This kind of goes hand-hand with number 4. Your hips should not move, but your back should flatten out.)

Enjoy.

Edit: Stop playing with the damn bar. Grip. Set. Pull. Done. NO HIP Shimmies (you do this thing where you go up/down/up/down and then finally pull. Stop that! >_< You also like rolling the bar like's it's a toy fire truck. Also bad!

Grip. Set. Pull.

Thank you, ello, I appreciate you returning for more feedback haha. I understand the cue that you are giving me with step #4, but, just so that we're clear, won't my hips HAVE to drop somewhat when I squeeze my chest to ensure a flat back?

Quote Originally Posted by Domjo54 View Post
    Thank you, ello, I appreciate you returning for more feedback haha. I understand the cue that you are giving me with step #4, but, just so that we're clear, won't my hips HAVE to drop somewhat when I squeeze my chest to ensure a flat back?
    You'd be surprised. Your hips don't drop at all, but it is a AWKWARD position to maintain initially. Imagine just your skeletal frame and your pelvis is directed at about 45 degrees. What I want you to do is to lower that as close to parallel ( 0 degrees in reference to the floor) as possible. This requires no vertical movement of the hips, only active contraction of your spinal erectors.

Quote Originally Posted by ello View Post
    No one loves you.

Therefore, I will comment.

Basics first.

1) 1 inch from shins (I think you do this)
    2) Set your grip. (You do this)
    3) Bend at the knees so that shins touch bar (You do this)
    4) Flatten your back by pushing your ass out NOT YOUR HIPS down (You, unfortunately, point your ass DOWN and your hips follow. Notice that before every deadlift your hips rise and your back bows every so slightly. Why? Because your starting hip position is too damn low. I'll repeat myself:

Flatten your back by pushing your ass out, DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS.
    5)Deep breath
    6) Squeeze your chest together (This kind of goes hand-hand with number 4. Your hips should not move, but your back should flatten out.)

Enjoy.

Edit: Stop playing with the damn bar. Grip. Set. Pull. Done. NO HIP Shimmies (you do this thing where you go up/down/up/down and then finally pull. Stop that! >_< You also like rolling the bar like's it's a toy fire truck. Also bad!

Grip. Set. Pull.

This is going to save my deadlift. I didn't realize I was rounding until I made a video (trying to upload it, issues with phone), but I did exactly that, pushing my hips down and not pushing my ass out causing the round. I will do this next time I deadlift and I bet it will make all the difference. Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Uglybass View Post
    This is going to save my deadlift. I didn't realize I was rounding until I made a video (trying to upload it, issues with phone), but I did exactly that, pushing my hips down and not pushing my ass out causing the round. I will do this next time I deadlift and I bet it will make all the difference. Thanks!
    You're welcome.