starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift and squat form check

Default Deadlift and squat form check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hey everyone, I'm a novice lifter and am interested in receiving opinions on my deadlift and squat forms. I weigh 150 pounds and in these videos had a deadlift of 225 and a squat of 185. I have no injury history.

YouTube videos:

Here's what I think:

1. Deadlift - Put the bar closer to my legs, since it seems like it's moving a bit away from me on its way up (I should wear sweats). Perhaps my behind is also too high?
    2. Squats - Have elbows a bit lower, back a bit straighter (It's curving inwards). Is the barbell moving forward too much? (Note that while the angle is pretty bad to see, I'm pushing my knees out, so that's good.)

Set up with your shins 1 inch from the bar and get set and tight before you pull. No bouncy stuff like you're doing before you start your set. You also need to learn to set your low back. There's a good video on this site about this. Check it out.

Okay, no more bouncing, then.

Sorry for asking, but what do you mean by "set your low back" and what video are you referring to? I searched those terms using Starting Strength's search function, as well as a general "Deadlift" term, but all I'm getting are some text articles.

http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/videos

Lots of good stuff all over this site!