starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting after or during SS?

Default Cutting after or during SS?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys, I'm heading towards the end of my linear progression with Starting Strength. I want to do the Texas Method next. However, my bodyfat percentage was already quite high before I started working out, and eating a lot to ensure progress added more to it, so I definetely need to lose some weight

What makes more sense: Continue doing SS while cutting, trying to maintain the weights, or switching already to the Texas Method?

If you're already significant overweight, then you should lose weight now. You can probably still make progress while doing so if you're late novice, but it will be slower than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    If you're already significant overweight, then you should lose weight now. You can probably still make progress while doing so if you're late novice, but it will be slower than before.

This or maintain your current weight while finishing LP then cut later. Probably would run a HLM type program vs texas method on a cut.

If you are 5' tall and weigh 300 cut now and get under a Doctor's care. If you are 6' and 200 you don't need to cut weight. In other words, if you want a serious comment show us your stats.

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    If you are 5' tall and weigh 300 cut now and get under a Doctor's care. If you are 6' and 200 you don't need to cut weight. In other words, if you want a serious comment show us your stats.
    I'm not obese, but starting to get a little bit chubby. I'm 5.6ft and 179lbs. Don't feel really comfortable anymore, BF% is probably around 25%.
    Squat: 232lbs x 3 x 5
    Bench: 154 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 287 x 1 x 5
    Press: 110 x 3 x 5

The problem is that I don't progress at all in the pressing excercises if I don't eat. Maintaining my weight while increasing weights only works in the squat and maybe deadlift for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PovertyBench View Post
    I'm not obese, but starting to get a little bit chubby. I'm 5.6ft and 179lbs. Don't feel really comfortable anymore, BF% is probably around 25%.
    Squat: 232lbs x 3 x 5
    Bench: 154 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 287 x 1 x 5
    Press: 110 x 3 x 5

The problem is that I don't progress at all in the pressing excercises if I don't eat. Maintaining my weight while increasing weights only works in the squat and maybe deadlift for me.
    So, you're not a skinny teenage novice, right? Do you think need to get chubbier to get stronger? Presses progress slower after the early novice stage but with good programming adjustments, they do continue to progress. You should be making smaller increments and probably need more pressing frequency and volume soon. SS and TM are notorious for challenging recovery. Consider an alternative. Body fat is harder to measure than weight and waist circumference. Track them and don't make youself uncomfortable, just eat enough good food and get your sleep.

Consider that building a bigger engine (muscle mass) will help you burn more energy and in theory will make weight loss easier. Eat, build. Cut later, if you still think you need to after you finish LP. 25% isn’t really that bad. Probably more psychological than a physical problem. You don’t give your age but you might want to get your Testosterone checked. I just ask them to tack that on to my annual blood work. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.Imel View Post
    Consider that building a bigger engine (muscle mass) will help you burn more energy and in theory will make weight loss easier.
    Theoretically, but in practice not so much. Diet is the majority driver.

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated!

Since you asked for my age: I'm 24 years old. Had my testosterone checked a couple of years ago, it was in the normal range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin.Imel View Post
    Cut later, if you still think you need to after you finish LP. 25% isn’t really that bad. Probably more psychological than a physical problem.
    Right now I'm still okay with the way I look like, but I wouldn't want to put on more than a few more kilos. Most shirts are barely fitting, and my arms and legs are starting to get little cracks. Not painful, also probably because my skin is very dry.

When I was a teenager I tried to bodybuild and made the experience, that I only progress if I eat like a maniac. I'm no "hardgainer", but also not a typical chubby but strong person. I need to have quite a high caloric surplus, which goes hand in hand with gaining fat. That's why I'm not sure if with my current BF% I will be able to eat that much for much longer without getting fat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisza View Post
    Probably would run a HLM type program vs texas method on a cut.
    I didn't find the HLM programs that appealing. But I also read that TM is more taxing, so maybe for cutting HLM really is the better choice. Would it make sense to start HLM after finishing SS, lose weight, and switch to TM once my weight is down enough?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast