starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why am I suddenly a fiend for simple carbs?

Default Why am I suddenly a fiend for simple carbs?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I've never really had much trouble staying away from refined carbs and sweets. Always been much more into protein and fats. I've gone paleo-ish for months at a time with little difficulty. But suddenly I am getting savage cravings for ice cream, candy, cake, etc. My wife went way overboard in buying Halloween candy, so we've had this huge variety pack of fun size candy in the pantry for three months. Through that time I haven't so much as touched the thing, with the exception of a Reese's here and there. And this is not because of some herculean effort; I just wasn't interested. But over the last week or so I have been eating like 5-10 pieces per day. My whole life, I've thought middling candy like Almond Joy and Kit Kat was a total joke. Now I am hoovering this shit. I'm also much more into biscuits, toast, and jelly.

It's not an urgent problem because I'm not getting fatter, but I just don't like this feel. Any insight?

Because they all taste great?

How is your diet? Are you getting enough carbs in general? How is your recovery?

Cortisol induced cravings, maybe?

How's your stress and sleep?

Eveyone, including most animals who naturally eat a totally carb free diet will have an affinity for sugar. Because it is the simplest most efficient energy source.

They put sugar in cat food to make it more addictive you know!

Maybe stress related to the bar exam?

If you're not getting too fat and you're recovering from your workouts, then does it matter to you?

Sleep is fine. 7-9 hours. Snyder, you're probably onto something. Don't know how I didn't make the stress connection. Recovery is okay, and I think I generally get enough carbs otherwise through legumes, potatoes, vegetables, dairy.

Dastardly, I'm not surprised that sugar tastes good. I'm surprised by the sudden change in my tastes.

TBone, as I said in the original post, I'm not sweating it that much--just trying to figure it out. I don't think we need another discussion on whether there is or is not such a thing as "eating clean." We all know you love ice cream now.

Edit: It did just occur to me that if I am eating this shit, and I am not gaining weight, then I must need the calories. I am smart.
    Last edited by Bronan the Barbarian; 01-30-2012 at 02:13 PM.

I figure if you aren't getting fat, and your lifts are fine, and you overall still feel fine, enjoy the candy and stop worrying about it.

starting strength coach development program
    i try not to be too much of a hippie, but i've noticed in myself a certain "carb addiction" effect. I won't speculate on the underlying mechanism but when i'm eating candy and chocolate and pastries and cake and such i seem to actually "crave" the stuff. That is i actually go out of my way to go buy it and eat it. And i also have a pretty strong "can't eat just one" thing going on. When i'm in "clean" mode (which to me is low-gi Zone style) though i don't miss/crave the stuff. I'm currently doing a version w/ a cheat day every week and the cheat day doesn't seem to be enough for me to trigger the cycle.

Point is that maybe it was originally triggered by a particularly stressful day or low blood sugar, but then it may have become self-sustaining...

ymmv etc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast