starting strength gym

Thread: Cambered bar OHP?

Default Cambered bar OHP?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip,

Is using cambered for for an OHP still considered within The Program? I've got low ceiling issues. Starting from clean upstairs or outside would be my other option, until I picked up portable squat stands.

Aaron

I can't see how the mechanics would be significantly different, assuming good form. With a non-straight bar path, the plates would be swinging around unpleasantly. I wouldn't buy one just for that, though.

Swinging plates and their effect on bar path are my main concern. I've seen some videos online and thought I could just adapt, but I haven't done OHP'S on that kind of bar and I'm interested to hear if it's much harder than it looks. I figured I could find other uses for the bar as well at some point (e.g. good mornings). OTOH I could get some portable squat stands for upstairs/outside.

AaronA- out of curiosity what is your 'fist' height at lockout vs the ceiling height? I was wondering if getting a few extra 25's (or 10's) as the largest diameter plate would allow for the height needed.

When I add the extra shrug at the end, my fists pop up the drop ceiling.

Can you remove part of the drop ceiling at least when you lift?

I am going to try to rig something together, not to turn this into some home repair show, but the drop tiles in the area I'm setting up have wire guides that prevent them from being easily slid out of the way.

starting strength coach development program
    Now we're cooking. Just 86 the drop ceiling, slap some paint on what's above it and get pressing! Assuming of course that gets you the needed height. lol