starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie initial suggestions

Question Newbie initial suggestions

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi,

I apologize for the reoccurring theme. I am a 43 year old with lower back disc bulges. I am so tired of having a weak back! Every time I try deadlifting I tweak my lower back. I'm not complaining, but I need to find a way to get deadlifts to work. I have studied the book, worked slowly and methodically. I am looking for just some advice on how to incorporate deadlifts into my regimen. Is there some way to modify something to work smarter not harder until the strength builds? Do I need a belt, something? I am only doing 85lbs to start (as embarrassing as that is). I am able to do all other body parts relatively well, but once I do lower back...bam, the pain begins...I don't believe that I can't do them, just gotta find a solution. Thank you for any suggestions or for pointing in the right direction.

Rich

Since you're only using 85 lbs, I want to make sure you're using plates of the correct size. If you're using two small tens on each side, you'll likely be starting with the bar too low to get your back into a good position.

If you're using the standard 17.7 inch/450mm plates, then the next step is to make sure your form is right. With someone who's had the problems you have, I really super duper highly recommend seeing an SSC in person, it will be well worth it. Short of that, you can get verified and then post a video here, but the in person coaching will help you get sorted out much more quickly and thoroughly, and probably in a more lasting way too.

It is possible, though unlikely, that you have an issue serious enough to warrant raising the bar up higher than it sits when the plates are on the floor - meaning, doing rack pulls. But I would not assume this. It's only a small minority of cases in my experience. Most likely you just need to make sure your form is right, like everyone else. Despite the book having the best instructions ever written on how to do it right, most people still seem not to be able to do it correctly on their own without some instruction. The sooner you see a coach, the better off you'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzersaxman View Post
    Hi,

I apologize for the reoccurring theme. I am a 43 year old with lower back disc bulges. I am so tired of having a weak back! Every time I try deadlifting I tweak my lower back. I'm not complaining, but I need to find a way to get deadlifts to work. I have studied the book, worked slowly and methodically. I am looking for just some advice on how to incorporate deadlifts into my regimen. Is there some way to modify something to work smarter not harder until the strength builds? Do I need a belt, something? I am only doing 85lbs to start (as embarrassing as that is). I am able to do all other body parts relatively well, but once I do lower back...bam, the pain begins...I don't believe that I can't do them, just gotta find a solution. Thank you for any suggestions or for pointing in the right direction.

Rich
    I am not a Starting Strength coach, or an expert lifter by any means, but there is absolutely nothing embarrassing about deadlifting that weight, because there is nothing embarrassing about getting inside the gym and doing what is best for yourself. It takes a lot of courage to do that and you should be very proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bacon View Post
    I am not a Starting Strength coach, or an expert lifter by any means, but there is absolutely nothing embarrassing about deadlifting that weight, because there is nothing embarrassing about getting inside the gym and doing what is best for yourself. It takes a lot of courage to do that and you should be very proud!
    One of the things about barbell training that I learned very early (1st day) is to put my ego aside. Before SS training I would walk into the gym and leg press 1,000+pounds ...for reps.

My first squat workout was this:

45lbsx5repsx2sets with 11 stacked boxes
    55x5 (just one set) with 11 stacked boxes
    55x5 w/ 10 boxes
    55lbsx5repsx3sets at 9 boxes. If possible, attempt 8!

My work set on the press was 35lbs.

I applaud that you are in the gym!

Find a coach somehow! SS coaches are the exception - they actually know what they are doing and will guide your journey to barbell Nirvana.

Thank you Michael for the help! Unfortunately, the gym I am at has the smaller plates for the lower weights. I didn't even know they made standard plates at lower weights.

I think since the gym I am at has those issues, I might modify the height until I can get up to 135 using the 45lb plates. As far as my back, it's one of those typical, lumbar bulges, herniations, etc. that many of us suffer with. It goes out of whack once in a while when I overdo it and unfortunately, 2 weekends ago, moving furniture was the weekend I started deadlifting...lol. So, double whammy. My back is still not 100%, so I'm taking the anti-inflammatory until it calms down. Once that happens, back to the deadlifts. I'm going to go light and watch the form...and see what happens. I train 4x a week, so I am trying to not overtrain...that's another thing...

I definitely will look for a coach once I feel more confident with the program. I used to lift all the time, but stopped for various reasons...now, I'm going old school.
    Thank you again for the help!

Yes, raise the height of the plates up so it approximates where the bar sits when there are 17.7 inch diameter plates on it. If you can't get into a proper position without irritating your injured area, raise it up further to mid-shin or even just below the knee. Work it down an inch or two at a time every workout, every week, or every couple weeks as you're able.

Why are you training 4x a week instead of doing an LP?

It sounds crazy, but I recently got more openings in my schedule and wanted to keep myself in the gym more...what else can I do in addition? Should I break the 3x into 4?

You should do the program as written, not add your own stuff, not "go to the gym more" because you're still in the exercise paradigm instead of the training paradigm. You'll thank me later. Instead of joining the apparently tens of billions of people who didn't actually do the program because they added their own stuff, didn't eat or sleep, didn't ask The First Three Questions, insisted on also doing cardio etc...and then blamed the program for not working as advertised, instead of being one of those people, it'll work great and you'll be happy you did it.

You'll note that I have embedded a couple links here for further education for you. I highly suggest you click them and read/watch.

I hear ya...I guess one question I would have is, since SS is truly about strength, if I wanted to work on any aesthetics, when would I do that? I ask because I am an overweight guy, 6ft 233lbs and want to reshape myself while getting stronger. Don wait, etc. to focus on parts I would like more mass? Just throwing it out there. Thanks again.

starting strength coach development program
    If you're 6' 233 and just starting out/still weak, you'll work on your aesthetics by eating less than you have been, while doing the program. I can't give you specifics, but I wouldn't be surprised if you did so, to see you end up with several inches off your waist at the end of LP. I don't know what you'll weigh but you should be a good bit leaner if you do this right.

So don't do GOMAD. Don't eat 5000 cals a day. Commit to getting 200g of protein and 30-35g of fiber a day, and limiting the rest to 3000 total calories, and I bet you'll do great.

Aesthetics for 99.9% of people is accomplished via properly designed strength training and adherence to a solid nutrition plan. The only people who need anything more than that to "be aesthetic" are competitive physique athletes and fitness models. At a later stage, after early intermediate training, your strength program will start to include some accessory movements that help scratch that itch, while still making more primary movements the priority. But you'll train almost exclusively the main lifts, with a variant or two each, along with chin-ups or pulldowns and maybe some rows, for a while before you need any of that other stuff.

"Abs are made in the kitchen" may sound trite, but is largely true.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast