starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaining too much fat

Default Gaining too much fat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,

Im not sure if this is supposed to happen because i know that you are meant to be gaining weight but I feel that i am not gaining any muscle i just feel that im just gaining fat, I constantly feel flabby and soft. Is this normal? What could be causing this problem?

It may be that you are actually flabby and soft. Are your lifts going up?

Im 6'7 about 285lbs i never really felt like this untill i started SS. (I did bodybuilding routines for a while till i realised i needed some solid strength.) I know it sounds really stupid asking the question about gaining too much fat but I thought i would see if there was anything wrong.

My lifts were going up but i have stalled at 105kg squats, which i think for my weight + height i shouldnt be stalling this early. This true? Nothing else is stalling.

In my experience if you don't bust your ass every single day in the gym and add weight each workout you're much more likely to gain fat. I took about a two week break from training due to stupid injuries and exams and shit, which really sucked by the way because I HATE missing workouts, and I was still eating the same amount. After those two weeks I noticed I had gained some noticeable fat that wasn't there before.

Adding 5lbs each workout to your lifts, but especially to your squat, will ensure you don't pack on a ton of fat no matter how much you stuff your face, IMO.

If there is sufficient training stress to cause an adaptation, this most usually prevents getting fat. Not every time for every body. I suspect you're one of these guys that's not doing the program out of the book.

i havent been able to get the book its really expensive to get over here in Australia but did manage to get the first ed off a friend so i have just been going off that and what i have seen on the internet.
    which is 3xweek alternating:

work out 1:
    squats 3x5 - 100kg
    bench 3x5 - 80kg
    dead lift 1x5 - 100kg

work out 2:
    squats 3x5
    Clean and Press (No rack in gym) - 5x3 - 50kg
    Chins 2x10

I am also taking in 6,000 calories including 1 gallon of skim milk a day.
    Is this what i should be doing?

Oh, god. How are you squatting 100k without a rack? Are these numbers what you do all the time? A gallon of skim milk has too many carbs and might well make you fat. And the book is not any more expensive in Australia than it is here except for the shipping, which is what you get for living in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah3 View Post
    i havent been able to get the book its really expensive to get over here in Australia but did manage to get the first ed off a friend so i have just been going off that and what i have seen on the internet.
    which is 3xweek alternating:
    You've got to be fucking kidding, right?! The book is $29.95 plus postage which I think was no more than $10. It is probably the wisest investment you could ever purchase if you want to learn the correct technique(s) for getting strong. If you think this book is expensive, maybe you should buy one of those Mens Health magazines which crap on about how to perform 5x12 of every exercise known to man-kind and how to get those ripped abs in time for summer.

LOL sorry there is a rack but it has a top on it and being 6'7" There is no way i can press under it so i have to powerclean it up outside it. I also read in another thread that it can be changed to a powerclean and press?
    The figures are not what i lift all the time i have built up to them starting real light till form was good. Still rather light on everything IMO maybe that might be the reason? but just cant seem to get the weight up. Still trying to get form right on C&P and building back up bench from a sore shoulder so i know they are really down.

I am trying to get the money together to get the book its costing me the same amount in shipping as the book (I have another child on the way and needing to find a bigger place so really short on funds at the moment but do plan on buying it)

But in the meantime is there anything wrong that i am doing program wise which i stated above or maybe diet?
    With the milk I was told and read in all the the write ups about SS that a gallon of milk was good?

DIET:
    Meal 1: 24g Whey + 220g Oat bran + 1L Skim Milk
    Meal 2: 2 185g Cans Tuna + 6 pieces wholemeal bread
    Meal 3: 180g Chicken Breast + 8 pieces wholemeal bread or some pasta + 1 cup brocoli + 500ml Milk
    Meal 4 (PRE): 24g Whey + 160g Oat Bran + 800Mls Milk
    Meal 5 (POST): 55g Whey + 160g Oat Bran + 5g creatine
    Meal 6: Always changes but 50g Protein + 40g Carbs +1 cup broccoli
    Meal 6: 24g Whey + 500-800Mls Milk

I know this must be a real pain in the ass mate and im sorry if im wasting your time with all this i just want to make sure doing all i need to be to get the gains this program can produce.

starting strength coach development program
    ordered mine via the interwebz and the shipping to Oz was half of fuck all which is not a bad price in these days of international financial chaos and doom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast