starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New gym, westside?

Default New gym, westside?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I recently joined a nearby powerlifting gym. The guys there train using westside methods for the most part. If I start training with them regularly they'll want to set me up with something similar. I believe that training with a group of strong, motivated people is great for progress (look at Tom Narvaez's vids for example), but I'm skeptical of certain aspects of their programming for raw lifters. They do have some decently strong raw guys though (a guy with 507/374/550 at 240 is the main one I remember). I'm wondering I would be better off training with them and doing what they do, or just doing my own thing and training with them occasionally. They're putting on a meet in september, maybe I'll train with them for that, and use it as an indicator of how well westside training works for me.

What do you guys think?

I think Westside is best suited for geared powerlifters.

No one is going to doubt their strength, but it seems to be very specific.

You don't see a lot of people using the Westside method for other strength sports; strongman, weightlfting, highland, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If they don't push their training on you I'd say at least give it a try.

Just my $1.05.

I train at a gym full of power lifters who are very strong and have lots of different training methods. I take what works for me, try things that they suggest, and discard what doesn't. Some are just genetically gifted and some have great advice. Just being in a gym with strong people will make you get stronger.

Some gyms, even hardkorwr westside ones, are more open and not really uptight to their methodologies. You should also consider the pros and cons of having a great training environment(program aside) vs doing the hamburger system™.

I guess you could also try it but if they're too box squatty then there's a fair chance you might get disappointed.

You could also lie and say something like "I've tried box squatting before and it didn't help my 500+ raw squat, could I train with you and not use the box that much?"

If that's their best raw guy then be concerned. I can do those numbers at 205. As a non powerlifter. But you may get some increases out of any motivated gym.

Quote Originally Posted by f4thpathway View Post
    If that's their best raw guy then be concerned. I can do those numbers at 205. As a non powerlifter. But you may get some increases out of any motivated gym.
    Lol didn't see that. I guess ham would be their best raw guy then haha

Quote Originally Posted by f4thpathway View Post
    I don't know that he's their best raw guy, he's just the best one whose numbers I know off the top of my head.

Still, use brain power.

You're not a novice anymore, surely they will recognize that and let you modify the programming according to what you think is best, such as not using a of chains and not using box squats all the time. I think it's definitely worth it, best of luck bro.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree that you should hang in there until the meet. A person learns best by getting immersed in it and I would think barring any type of severe abuse, you are going to get stronger, it will just depend on if the outcome was better or worse than you expected for yourself.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast