starting strength gym

Thread: Help me fix these back issues in my deadlift.

Default Help me fix these back issues in my deadlift.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have been trying to follow the steps for "The Perfect Deadlift" but I'm not getting there. Just check out this video of me deadlifting 225x4 I was going for 5 and help me fix my back.

First, I'm still a novice as well, and this is my first time trying to "give" advice, so take it with a grain of salt.

There's a step in the "perfect deadlift" sequence where it says to bend your knees until your shins touch the bar after you take your grip. It doesn't look like you are doing this adequately. The bar is moving a lot at the bottom, which is a big no-no. Once you get it over the mid-foot and your shins are in position, don't let it move.

Following that, we need to eradicate the big hump in your back. Your gaze is somewhat hard to see because of that sun glare, but it's clear that you aren't actively lifting the chest as much as you should be. There should be no slack between your chest, shoulders, arms, and the bar before you lift. Everything should be taught and stretched. If you try to do these things without lowering your hips at all, your back should straighten out. One of the experts should be able to help you more than I can.

Finally, when you pull, your bar path is going out almost as much as it is going up. You have to scrape your shins with the bar in order to pull it vertically. The "reverse-c" shaped path you're using also contributes to that rounded back.

I would advise paying close attention to your setup and actively try to "flatten" your back by raising the chest before you pull. Once you have visual confirmation of that, initiate the pull by scraping your shins with the bar.

I'm learning these lifts from the book too, and based on what I've read I can offer the following advice:

Please don't do deadlifts with 225 anymore until you are sure you're keeping your back in proper extension. You should go right down to 135 and practice doing a perfect set up and perfect form before you try again with more weight. I'd re-read the deadlift chapter, especially the step by step set up instructions starting on page 103. Pay special attention to the back position diagram on page 109.

Most importantly, I'd say to look closely at the instructions on how to help develop an awareness of your lower back position. There is an exercise explained on page 44 of SS:BBBT3 - the picture at the top of page 139 is what you want to replicate when learning this (it's at the end of the 'Back' section of the squat chapter).
    Last edited by Przysiad; 05-11-2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo

Agree with the above.
    - You never set your back at the bottom, on any rep. Fix this first, you'll hurt yourself. Go back to 135 and work up, double overhand.
    - The bar is way out in front of your shins, it should be touching them. Wear long pants and high socks for deadlifting so you're not afraid to scrape.

In my head when I'm doing this lift my back IS right which is why I'm having so much trouble whether I'm setting it at the bottom or the top with heavy weight or light weight. I have the same issue if I try to do rows.

Have you tried the exercise where you lie on the floor, on your belly, then lift your legs *up*, making sure to get your kneecaps off the ground? That's the exercise on page 139 I'm talking about. If you can do that exercise and get your knees off the floor, that should give you a good feeling for what it like to control your lumbar spine.
    Last edited by Przysiad; 05-11-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: clarified

starting strength coach development program
    Just was thinking back to your deadlift video . . . and remembered this thread which could be helpful to you. Check Post #2 for a little more description of an exercise you need to practice.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=39702

Last, watch this video on lower back position control:

http://startingstrength.com/index.ph...sition_control

Good luck - with some attention to detail, it will pay off in the end!