starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So, What have you learned?

Default So, What have you learned?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    While you were on your recent hiatus, I've been taking the time to read your old material both in this forum and on your website. I figured that there is more than a few years of stuff there, so it would be a good education, and it definitely was worth the time. However, I found myself wondering while I was going through all that if your opinion on matters of nutrition and training has changed at all since you've made your internet debut. I didn't pick up on any direct contradictions in your advice over time, but there were some items that you seemed to characterize or emphasize differently from the days of your video logs to the stuff on the forum here. So I figured that it would be interesting for you to let us know how what you have learned over the past four years has modified your thinking, if anything, in case anyone else wants to undertake a similar project.

Eh, kind of hard to really pare it all down. I guess here is just a brief hit list of things:

1) Evidence based/scientific stuff builds a necessary base for forming opinions/protocols/hypotheses but just because something is or isn't seen in the literature doesn't make it wrong (or right). I'm not sure if I was very hard up on this one way or another, but maybe this is more of what I've learned in medicine vs. training lately. This was a funny read too on the topic. In general, scientific rationale + personal experience= evidence based behavioral practices.

2) While many people are right, they are- at the same time, wrong. It's easy to point out where someone is wrong (including myself), but we must consider the audience, assumptions, and limited application that the author intended before jumping all over them. Common things relating to this matter include protein intake (people arguing for more or less), over training, high bar vs low bar, etc. To be clear, I think high protein intakes are good, over training isn't a big deal as long as your programming is intelligently planned that way, and low bar is a better main squat variant than high bar for any application involving a person who can LBBS without pain.

3) The mental approach to nutrition is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

4) The mental approach to training is more important than I previously gave it credit for.

5) Most people are more untrained, eat a worse diet (wrong macros, wrong cals, wrong food sources, or all of the above), and don't sleep enough than I previously though. There's no mystery to the outcomes here.

6) My own training experience is not typical (thanks Tom Campitelli for pointing this out).

7) Everything in life has a threshold, everything.

Other than that, nothing major has changed....just learning something new everyday.

Thanks, I appreciate the perspective. Its fun to go back to the original Vlogs and see your approach then (when you started the Jordan 365 and got to like 16, good videos though). Its good to know that most of that stuff is still valid, with perhaps a little more emphasis on the psychology aspect of things these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    1) Evidence based/scientific stuff builds a necessary base for forming opinions/protocols/hypotheses but just because something is or isn't seen in the literature doesn't make it wrong (or right). I'm not sure if I was very hard up on this one way or another, but maybe this is more of what I've learned in medicine vs. training lately. This was a funny read too on the topic. In general, scientific rationale + personal experience= evidence based behavioral practices.
    Just read that. Abstract only, but it was frickin hilarious.

Now that you are approaching a 3xBW raw squat, do you still believe the squat is the bane of your existence as you said in your video on getting the squat up?

"Evidence based/scientific stuff builds a necessary base for forming opinions/protocols/hypotheses"; yep just wish everyone knew the hypotheses were guesses (like opinions) that someone tries to prove/disprove (disprove if done correctly, but most folks seem to force the data to fit the model) based on a data collected via a scientific method (often quasi scientific). This does not make it a scientific law or fact; just some dudes opinion based on how he interpreted the data. Heck, even some things that were once believed to be a law changed over time. Even some of the most brilliant humans that have walked this earth have been only partially correct, usually they recognize this as they are aware of the countless assumptions required to make a conclusion. The more I study/learn the more I realize how much we don't actually know.

"It's easy to point out where someone is wrong (including myself), but we must consider the audience, assumptions, and limited application that the author intended before jumping all over them." well said and the humility is probably one of the most important aspects of trying to learn and make the world a better place.

Good post, thanks for sharing.

What do you mean by the mental approach to nutrition? I'm always curious about ways in which the mind/brain influences things.

3) The mental approach to nutrition is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything else.

7) Everything in life has a threshold, everything.
    Would love to hear some more on these two points (not even sure I'm following #7). Will there be more in the book?

4) The mental approach to training is more important than I previously gave it credit for.

6) My own training experience is not typical (thanks Tom Campitelli for pointing this out).
    Can you elaborate on these Jordan?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Now that you are approaching a 3xBW raw squat, do you still believe the squat is the bane of your existence as you said in your video on getting the squat up?
    Yea it's not that it's a "bad" squat...just that compared to where my DL and bench place me relative to my competition....well, it should be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
    Can you elaborate on these Jordan?
    The mental approach thing I'm referencing includes all preconceived benefits or disadvantages to using a particular approach to nutrition as well as how someone's emotional relationship to eating is (e.g. food reward, binge eating disorder, bulimia nervosa, etc.). Getting the potential neurological obstacles ironed out is likely the biggest key to success in the diet game, methinks. Training wise, it is less important with respect to programming (e.g. do you believe what you're doing works/do you believe it's over/under training you, etc), but EQUALLY as important (IMO) when it comes to performing at a meet.

As far as my own training experience, I've come to learn that my strength development past and present, in addition to the lengths I'm willing to go to make gainzZz (e.g. training multiple times per day, 5-6 days a week, counting macros, etc.) is not really representative of most others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast