starting strength gym

Thread: Spinning my wheels on the deadlift.

Default Spinning my wheels on the deadlift.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've done more deadlift deloads than I care to count. in the spring I managed to get up to 365 x 1 x 4. Now I am struggling at 315, I've read the deadlift section of SS 100 times, I've watched probably every technique video by Rip and every popular Youtuber. Theres just some mental block I seem to have with the deadlift. I've tried everything , belts, beltless, shoes, no shoes, sumo, conventional, pushing through the floor.

I am trying to working on keeping my head down, and I seem to lose control on the way down, I'm pretty sure it's mostly a lower back issue

I'm happy with all my other lifts, hell I just squatted 365 x 1 x 5 on Thursday. I'm currently running TM if that helps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqIrxgNYymY

You are dropping your butt too low and pushing the bar forward with your shins. This results in a non vertical bar path off the floor, which is why your pulls feel less than good. You may also be flexing your spine on the way up. Tough to tell from the video. Read the sticky at the top of this forum. Do the deadlifts steps verbatim. Stop dropping your butt as you squeeze your chest up.

Also, these weights are light for you. The bar is moving quickly. You must learn to embrace suffering on the pulls. You have an idea that they should be comfortable. When done correctly, deadlifts are very uncomfortable. You must get very tight and hold your back in hard extension on the way up. This feels bad. On the plus side, you only have to do 5 reps.

Hi there,

I'm not sure how wise it is to "watch every video from every popular youtuber"
    At least for me it wasn't a good idea, i mixed things up. Maybe it would be a better idea to stay with one "guru". At least for form advice.

What helped me the most was watching Rips DVD countless times. Every now and then i rewatch a given chapter of the dvd if i need to get a quick reminder.
    But what do i know, i didnt even finish my LP yet.

Greetings

I took your advice and my warm up sets felt great but once I got to my work set it was a disaster, you say the weights are too light and I know they are so I bumped it up 20 lbs this week and I could barely break it off the floor for 1 rep. I don't know how I can psych myself up anymore than I am, I know its not much weight and I want to get it up so bad, I'd love nothing more than to have an impressive deadlift but at this point its just getting depressing, I know I can do better I just wish I knew how. Anyway heres today pathetic excuse for a deadlift. Sorry about the camera angle again, I'll get a better one next week.

I know it should only be one video but 355 was so bad, I also did 325 just so I'd have something to show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtHITaLrQ2A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh3X7gmoJU4

Your setup is still problematic, although it is tough for me to see it. The video of your 355 is not viewable for me. It says, "This video is not available in your country." California, it's a whole 'nother country.

Where do you live?

That's strange, I live in Calgary, Alberta

OP, something to check out: A lot of times YouTube blocks videos in certain countries due to the music in the background violating some sort of copyright law. If this is the case YouTube will usually let you remove the audio through it's video editing capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Goober View Post
    That's strange, I live in Calgary, Alberta
    Go to your YouTube video manager and see if it has this warning by your video.

If it does click the link and it will give you a way to remove the audio. If that's not the reason it's being blocked I'm not sure what to do.

Well another depressing deadlift day down, I did read the sticky, I read the sticky, and got a better angle, I don't know why I can't seem to get into it, I seem to be getting weaker, at least as far as the deadlift goes. I just seem to have no confidence when it comes to the deadlift. my warm up sets looked good, no lower back rounding but as soon as the weight gets "heavy" it just seems to go down hill. I even read Rip's 5 steps for the perfect deadlift every time right before pulling. I don't know what to do anymore, do I deload 10% and hope that builds up my confidence a bit? At this point I don't even want to deadlift anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzoOxFpHXvQ

starting strength coach development program
    You are on your heals. You are rocking back as you initiate the pull.

Drop some weight and work that, butt stays up, weight stays balanced on the midfoot, bar should feel like it is hanging from your arms.