starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goal-specific deadlift question

Default Goal-specific deadlift question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello all:

First post here. Trying to get a realistic feel for a goal I've set. Relative newbie, 6'3" 225. Been deadlifting about 8 months after getting into strength training about a year and a half ago. 34 years old...really wish I'd gotten into this sooner...having kids got me thinking about long-term health and longevity around age 30.

I hit 390 about 6 weeks ago and have not maxed since. My goal is to hit 500 lbs by year's end. No real reason; just to see if I'm able to do it. Couple of questions: 1.) Is this realistic? 2.) If so, what should I be doing between now and Thanksgiving to give myself a shot at getting it done.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Thanks.

I think it's realistic if you eat and train for it. Are you following a program?

My own program...such as it is. 3x weekly (M, W, F) I do 3 lifts from among these: Bench Press, Overhead Press, Deadlift, Squat, Barbell Row. All barbells, no machines. Squatting 2x/week, deadlifting 1x/week (usually Fridays).

Last Friday I topped the deadlift at 365 for 5 reps. The idea I have is that if I bump this up 5 lbs every Friday (w/ a few weeks off built in), I'll be doing 465 x 5 by years end and that if I give this a shot on New Year's Eve I'll be there. I don't know if this is smart or not...but it seems logical to me and it seems to me that increasing 5 lbs/week is incremental enough that it' realistic.

So...that's my program, I guess.

Eat for gainzz and sustain those 5 lb increases as long as you can. Best of luck!

There's really no way to answer from the info you've provided. How has your deadlift already progressed in the last 8 months? Have you been training consistently that whole time? I bet you get to 450 but 500 seems like a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    Eat for gainzz and sustain those 5 lb increases as long as you can. Best of luck!
    What for? He probably needs to lose weight if he's 6'3" 225 and can't DL 4 plates after 8 months of training. I'd guess he's got too much BF.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubens View Post
    What for? He probably needs to lose weight if he's 6'3" 225 and can't DL 4 plates after 8 months of training. I'd guess he's got too much BF.
    BF = body fat?

I have no idea...I'd guess not much. Always been more on the "wide receiver" side than the "middle linebacker" side. Lank vs. bulk, you know?

What would losing weight do for me?

Thanks.

if you're above say 15% you're too fat to make good gains cause the fat tissue is estrogenic and secretes leptin

OP, if you're making steady weekly gains on your barbell lifts, then you're doing just fine.

If you haven't, I'd recommend checking out this book... http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stren...rting+strength It will provide you some structure for what it sounds like you've already been doing. If, after reading the book, you are unsure about your form on any of your lifts, then you can post a video in either the Starting Strength Coach Q&A or the Technique Forum.

starting strength coach development program
    LOL always hustling the product. hey man Rip give you a kickback or what?

OP, make sure you get the revised 3rd edition. The previous editions are no longer suitable. When the 4th edition comes out you'll need to replace the 3rd edition.

See how this works?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast