starting strength gym

Thread: Falling over at bottom of squat

Default Falling over at bottom of squat

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have recently convinced my gf to do starting strength. Unfortunately I cannot get her into a good position in the hole. To get the proper back angle with bar over midfoot she raises her heels. If she doesn't raise her heels the bar travels to far forward and she falls forward. If she maintains the bar over midfoot with heels down she falls backward. This happens with or without the bar. Without the bar she was able to get in close to proper position but needed a stance with heels much wider than shoulder width. Is a wider stance acceptable?

Sounds like she needs to come to a camp, although this is, I believe, covered in the book. Why don't you post some video so WE can see what's going on?

I honestly looked thru book and searched the forum before posting and didn't find anything. I'll get a video tonight and post. I was hesitant to post a video of just the bar.

Some how tonight the problem fixed itself. She was a little high but not falling over. Going to work on depth. Thanks for ur reply, sorry for wasting ur time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    I honestly looked thru book and searched the forum before posting and didn't find anything. I'll get a video tonight and post. I was hesitant to post a video of just the bar.
    If you've read the book you know that the first two coached sets with a new trainee are done with just the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt275 View Post
    Some how tonight the problem fixed itself. She was a little high but not falling over. Going to work on depth. Thanks for ur reply, sorry for wasting ur time.
    You didn't waste our time. You need to make sure she has the correct stance and is getting here knees out. But really, it'd be better if she posted a video of herself. I don't like coaching through people.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hill View Post
    If you've read the book you know that the first two coached sets with a new trainee are done with just the bar.
    Yeah, she was falling over with the bar too, realize I didn't make that clear. Our next workout I'll take a video and have her post.