starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help decide between Rogue R3 vs. S2

Default Please help decide between Rogue R3 vs. S2

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello Everyone,

I would really appreciate it if I could get some advice from some SS coaches and others in helping me decide between purchasing a Rogue R3 or S2 package--both packages would include the B&R Bar and the 2.0 flat bench. In addition, I am purchasing York Legacy plates from the the York Barbell store.

I am 41 years old and a former powerlifter. I will be using the equipment for basic barbell strength training following the SS model, as I am returning to strength training after a two year layoff.

For a garage gym, what would be the advantages of one over the other? I have seen video of Wolf training on an S1 (w/ spotter arms) in his apartment using heavy weight, so I know that the S2 would be enough, but would a full cage be better? Again, I would appreciate feedback on the subject! Especially from fellow R3 and S2 owners.

Thanks and have a blessed day!
    Paul

If you have the space and the funds for an R3, that's what I would get.

Never owned an R3, but I did own the Titan clone for a while, and currently own both a half rack and an open top power rack. If I could only have one between the R3 and the S2, I'd rather have the R3 with added spotter arms for maximum versatility.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    If you have the space and the funds for an R3, that's what I would get.
    Agreed. I've had mine for six years and don't have any complaints. I like that it's bolted to the floor and won't slide around no matter how hard I walk into the uprights to rack a squat.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    since you can get extra j-hooks and have two lifts running concurrently (for supersetting if desired; extra bar required)
    This is a good point. I don't run the same program as my friend and we often do different lifts at the same time.

Thank you gentlemen for the feedback! I think it sounds like the R3 is getting all the love! I would love to hear more feedback. Thanks again!

I have the R3 and would not trade it for anything. You can add a ton of accessories if you want - it's just more versatile, esp. important for a garage gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hernandez View Post
    Thank you gentlemen for the feedback! I think it sounds like the R3 is getting all the love! I would love to hear more feedback. Thanks again!
    R3 pros:

- supersets, as mentioned (I sometimes superset press and chins, or dips and hanging leg raises, etc)
    - banded pulls (with bands either on top or bottom) are possible
    - I feel comfy rack pulling 650+ on the R3...not so sure about a squat stand with safeties.

I'm sure there are others

With your two choices, I would say the R3.

Another option, and what I have, is the W-4 wall mount. Price falls between your two options, and I have an extremely tall pullup bar on three sides. In fact, I have a fat bar over the squat rack, a Dirty South on one side, and a Spealer on the other. We use spotter arms.

The wallmount is a b*tch to put together and square up, though. I used to have an S2 or S3 stand, and I could put it together or take it apart in minutes. The W-4 took me several hours, and I'm still not 100% satisfied that it is perfectly square. If I could do it over again, I'd by something like the R-3.

starting strength coach development program
    You have to bolt the R3 down to the floor or platform though, so keep that in mind. It also takes up a bit more space if you're limited. The actual footprint is the same, but the useable space around you is reduced by having the R3; you'll likely need to have it a little further from the wall, for example.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast