starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift lagging way behind

Default Deadlift lagging way behind

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Coach,

I am squatting 270 for 5, benching 175 for 5, and the other lifts are all where they should be and I am ready to move to an intermediate routine.

Except, my deadlift sucks. I can't pull more than 245 and my grip strength is weak. I have to supinate at that weight. If I deadlift more than that, my hips shoot up first and then my back starts to curve. Lower back stays straight but upper back curves and it doesn't feel right.

What should I do? Can I set up a program where I deadlift at the same frequency as I do on the beginner routine while still moving the other lifts to the weekly progression scheme?

Thanks

How long have you actually been training the deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How long have you actually been training the deadlift?
    I guess since April but I would say only seriously since I begin starting strength in May.

I thought I should be able to deadlift more than I squat. There is no way I could properly deadlift 270 lbs.

You may have to train it more often to get it caught up. Then again, maybe your squat is high/wrong, which would explain why your numbers are reversed.

You gave me the thumbs up on my squat form a while back, so I'm pretty confident about it. It feels right when I do it and I never feel any discomfort doing it.

I think my quads are weak and that I'd benefit from some front squatting.

I'm just trying to figure out how to put together an intermediate routine that will get my deadlift up to where it should be.

I can video myself squatting again and post it here to be sure about it though. I am squatting more than I was when you last critiqued it.

Maybe it would be better if you videoed your deadlift, since that is the thing you were worried about.

I will try to get a video of my deadlift tomorrow but what can you tell me about how to structure an intermediate program that will get my deadlift caught up?

I read PP some last night on the texas method but it only shows how to structure progression for one lift.

Thank you.

Also I will be in Oklahoma this fall so I am hoping to come down to see you at your facility.

Hi Mark,

Here are videos of both my squat and deadlift from today's workout.

Squat, Set 1, 265 x 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcidNEfIlXc

Deadlift, 255 x 5:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxWHJ6fUUkE

In this post (http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1505) you stated that my ass was too high. I subsequently lowered my ass (see this thread: http://strengthmill.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1739) but I think I dropped my hips/ass too low, and that's where my problems started. My hips would shoot up first, and this would put strain on my lower back and cause some slight rounding.

The deadlift from today's workout is done without reference to mirrors, and after watching a number of your videos on youtube about setup, anthropometry, etc. What do you think of my deadlift form now? I certainly felt much stronger today by keeping my ass a little higher but not quite as high as in my first video).

As for my squat from today's workout, I think it's pretty good. Do you agree? Oddly I missed the last rep of my third set of squats but I think I am getting close to needing the advanced beginners modification you describe in PPST.

Thanks Coach!

Your knees are sliding forward at the bottom of this squat. The deadlift start position is good as far as the angles are concerned, but I don't think you have a good concept of an extended lumbar spine. I've noticed this recently among some lifters advanced enough to have figured it out already, and I'm beginning to think it's a bigger conceptual problem than I had previously thought.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your knees are sliding forward at the bottom of this squat. The deadlift start position is good as far as the angles are concerned, but I don't think you have a good concept of an extended lumbar spine. I've noticed this recently among some lifters advanced enough to have figured it out already, and I'm beginning to think it's a bigger conceptual problem than I had previously thought.
    Thanks for the feedback.

After this post (http://strengthmill.net/forum/showpo...43&postcount=7) you said regarding the squat "Much, much better set."

I have to tell you it's hard to see much of a difference between this one and that one.

I will continue to focus on pushing my knees out as this is the *only* way I can possibly keep my knees from going forward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast