starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check

Default Deadlift check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Could I please have a deadlift check? I submit for consideration a video of 2 reps at 250lb.

These are the most reps I have gotten in a row at that weight. These are the last 2 of three sets of 2. I know I might manage triples at least if I allow for more recovery or skip light squats beforehand, or reset. I also notice I am moving my legs a bit as I pull up. I'm trying to stop that. My back is rounding as I pull despite my best efforts to set up.

What I'd like to know is, have I any other form issues? Anything that might help me move on? Or should I just reset and try again?

Thanks very much!

http://youtu.be/uuQe_YQpLpQ

Looks like you need to review the Pulls from the Floor sticky. And adjust accordingly.

Hmmm. Not squeezing up my chest? I am trying to do that. I guess I'll try harder.

Squeeze up hard and hold that squeeze. Drag the bar up your legs, don't let it get away from you. Work on those two and let's see how it looks.

Also, don't spend so much time down there bent over before pulling. I've never seen that do anything but bad for anyone. If you need a couple seconds more than the bare minimum, ok, but you should aim to get down there, get set correctly, and pull. Spending more time than necessary bent over grabbing the bar is almost always detrimental to the rep and set.

Thank you Wolf. Here is another set for you. (I wore shoes this time - I don't really notice a difference with or without them. Although they are indoor soccer shoes, and not weightlifting shoes, so fairly flat.)

I removed all the dithering in my set-up. I reset to 235lb and worked on squeezing up my chest. My back isn't as rounded, but my shoulders look as though they could be pulled back more. I think. Should I be seeing more of an arched back (or at least a flat back) before I pull?

Also, I am still doing that little wiggle with my legs on rep 5. Would that be called in a competition as hitching?

http://youtu.be/_iDENRZcorg

(You guys are awesome. I really appreciate the time you spend commenting on our videos!)

These are definitely better but still need some work. You're not rounding as much, but still need to work harder to squeeze chest up and get your back in a hard extension before you pull.

Also, notice the part in the sticky that talks about where the bar is placed: over the middle of the foot, 1 inch away from the shins. Once you bring your shins to the bar, your hip position is set, you never drop them lower than that. You're trying to get set by dropping your hips. Notice that even when you do so, your hips rise before the bar starts moving up. So this is where you need to pull from, it makes sense to set up and get tight in that position, doesn't it? Of course it does. So get set and squeeze up in that position, rather than lowering your hips.

Let's see if the combination of those two things - squeezing harder, from and in the right position - improves things even more.

I think these are better - I could feel the difference starting in a higher hip position. Also my back wasn't sore the next day. I will still need to practice lots though. I have been getting lazy about using perfect form on my warmups, so I will make the effort to be more consistent.

http://youtu.be/BRbGfzjb2eI

starting strength coach development program
    Definitely better. Good work. You still need to get more fully extended - SQUOZE, as we like to say around here - in your upper back before you pull, so keep working on that. And be sure your own weight is over mid-foot as well; rock back off your toes to mid-foot if need be, before pulling. Sometimes we refer to this as Step 4.5 in the set-up.