starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to low-bar squat deep without using the posterior chain?

Default Is it possible to low-bar squat deep without using the posterior chain?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    When I squat, I go deep as I'm supposed to. My form, according to people on various forums (including this one) is acceptable, at worst. It certainly isn't perfect, but it isn't horrible either.

I don't feel my posterior chain (or quads really) being worked, but is it really possible that I'm missing them? Maybe it's not something you truly "feel" in the way you'd expect?

You don't feel your hips or your quads doing anything? What do you feel?

I feel like there are 200 pounds sitting on my back and I want to hurry the hell up and do my set so I can get it off, basically.

200lbs is light weight for a squat, if you're not feeling it work your muscles, then maybe you're not loifting heavy enough..

although to be fair, in regards to the light weight comment, it's all relative, when 200lbs is your working weight then it often feels like your personal goliath.

I would say up the weight if you don't feel a big effort, cos normally your 4th/5th rep should really be a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post
    I feel like there are 200 pounds sitting on my back and I want to hurry the hell up and do my set so I can get it off, basically.
    That's a quote worth remembering.

Two things:
    1. If you're doing the movement properly, it's pretty hard for the proper muscles not to act. At the least, something in your legs is working, otherwise you couldn't stand.
    2. You don't always "feel" what's going on in your body. I don't feel my lats at all when doing pullups or pulldowns or rows or any other lat exercise, but I notice they're getting bigger, so I figure they must be getting some work. I barely feel anything in my hamstrings, either, but I do sometimes feel something. If you really want to "feel", do lunges or something. You feel them and you feel them the next day.
    3. LondonTiger, go do some damn rack pulls of something.

Its hard to 'feel' muscles getting worked in any compound lift that is done regularly. The load is distrubuted over so many muscles working together that if it is done properly it is normal not to feel a strain in particular muscle.

Compound lifts done regularly also do not cause DOMS.

If you are pushing your knees out on the descent and getting enough tension in adductors and hamstrings that you are descending about the same speed as you ascend then you are hitting your posterior chain for sure.

You can focus on squeezing glutes on the way up which might give you some glute doms the first couple times your try it. but I havent found that it is not at all necessary for helping lockout, as that is the easiest part of a squat anyway. But it may help build a "squat ass"
    Last edited by Dastardly; 02-04-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LondonTiger View Post
    200lbs is light weight for a squat, if you're not feeling it work your muscles, then maybe you're not loifting heavy enough..
    200lb is not a light weight for a squat if you weigh considerably less than 200lb.

Getting over the BW squat is a big hurdle for those not naturally strong/athletic.

the numbers are irrelavent. Your max is your max. Doing Air squats/empty bar is more than enough to cause DOMS for a total newbie.

Most people complain of sore muscles when riding a bike, walking or running for the first time in a while.

I weigh 180 lbs, and I've only been training for a few months. 200 lbs is extremely rough for me at the moment.

I definitely feel my body is being worked. I just don't feel specific muscles getting worked.

starting strength coach development program
    You mentioned that your form is acceptable at best. I think that's where you should start. Do you own a copy of SS? I assume that's the kind of squat you are going for.

If lowering the weight is necessary, then by all means do so. It's important to learn how to squat properly prior to adding significant weight. Then, as you build up, you'll have a better idea of what you should be doing.

As far as "feel" is concerned I think I know what you mean. Just remember what your body needs to be doing.

Now, I don't mean to be confrontational, but I disagree with the poster who suggeested flexing the glues at the top. If I recall correctly, someone sent a video to Rip in which he was doing something like this at lockout. It caused excessive and unnecessary extension of the back at lockout. Not desireable under heavier weights. Of course we want the back locked in hard extension throughout the lift, but flexing the glutes at the top can produce the effect that I mentioned.

Hope this helps. Work on your techniuque, and then perhaps make another video (I haven't searched for your previous video yet).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast