starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another HB Squat Thread

Default Another HB Squat Thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I made the switch last week.

Actually I think I had been trying to do a LB squat with the bar placed too high.

Anyway, I decided to switch completely to HB, and man I love the movement 1000x more.

That is all I got.

Nice. I'm forced to use high bar.

What are your stats? I'm 6'6" and 330lbs. What's your SS worksets? 1RM? (Just trying to find others my size.)

I tried to do HB but I just hate it. I can't find a good spot to put the bar and I try to use the PC to drive it up.

I'm going to run the 40 Day Program with FS and see if that helps.

for those concerned with aesthetics, does the HB squat let you get your #s up without giving you an ass with a gravitational pull? just curious, have no intentions of switching

"for those concerned with aesthetics, does the HB squat let you get your #s up without giving you an ass with a gravitational pull?"

This statement is confusing. Why would those with an eye towards aesthetics not want massive glutes and hamstrings?

i meant your typical gym bros .. and im convinced my ass is bigger than any bodybuilders

please dont respond with pictures

and its my understanding that HB reduces the glute's involvement, or the hamstrings, or both..

Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    for those concerned with aesthetics, does the HB squat let you get your #s up without giving you an ass with a gravitational pull? just curious, have no intentions of switching
    If anything your ass will grow more with HB.

When you LB, the job of hip extension is distributed among glutes, hams and adductors. In HB, the hamstrings are shortened and therefore don't contribute much to the movement, so the task is therefore split up between adductors and glutes almost exclusively, forcing your glutes to work harder. You've never seen an only lifter from behind, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by mwhities View Post
    Nice. I'm forced to use high bar.

What are your stats? I'm 6'6" and 330lbs. What's your SS worksets? 1RM? (Just trying to find others my size.)
    I am 6'1" ~ 225lbs.

I never truly ran SS. I have squatted 320lbs for 14 reps, and 350lbs for something like 5,4,4.

I ran the Tough Mudder Saturday, so I took it pretty easy, but worked up to 265lbs x 5, and it felt great.

285lbs x 5 today.

Still feels like butter. Might try 315lbs 3x5 Monday.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by utexas61 View Post
    I am 6'1" ~ 225lbs.

I never truly ran SS. I have squatted 320lbs for 14 reps, and 350lbs for something like 5,4,4.

I ran the Tough Mudder Saturday, so I took it pretty easy, but worked up to 265lbs x 5, and it felt great.
    Nice! You are a monster.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast