starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No progression on bench anymore

Default No progression on bench anymore

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi.

I'm male 40 years old, weight about 198lbs, length 6feet 2inches. I've been weight-training since january 2011.

My currently best lifts are:
    Dead: 308x5
    Press:143x3
    Bench: 198x3
    Squat: 176x5 (haven't been doing squats so long due to ruptured ligaments in the knee)

I've been doing 5/3/1 (with 3-5 assistance excercises per workout) for 11 cycles now but been "struggling" with my bench for a time now, I've filmed it and the form isn't so bad (in my eyes) ALTHOUGH there is obviously LOT of areas to IMPROVE in the lift.

My goal is a 220 bench which should'nt be impossible, but now it seems far away. An example of bench day is as follows:

Warmup
    Bench 5/3/1
    Bench with pause at chest
    Dumbbell Bench 5 sets of 10 reps
    Triceps extensions
    Abs

Any suggestions of what to change / think of to be able to reach my goals? Should mention that when I started 5/3/1 my bench test max was 176x5.

Thanks in advance.

Weight gain will help. But also..........I would be doing a higher volume of sets that are 5 reps or more, and you might choose to increase bench frequency. I would drop the DB Benches for 5x10. I don't think you are at a point where this is gonna help much. 531 program doesn't work for a lot because of the low volume of actual strength work.

I'd rather see you doing something like 3-5x5 on Tuesday and then 3 singles across on a Friday. I think doing that, you get yourself up to 225.

sense im sick and looking at the boards I have a suggestion if you don't mind...if you were dead set for 531 rather than a volume/intensity setup, there are several ways to add volume to the program for instance you could repeat the main AMRAP set 3 times but only AMRAP on one of the sets..also a new template that is out there is to do 75%x5
    80%x5
    85%x5+
    then do singles 90%x1
    90%x1
    90%x1
    then ramp again 85%x5
    80%x5
    75x5+amrap this one as well
    You wouldn't have to do a deload unless you just felt you needed one
    Just an idea ive seen work for several people on the web. The other weeks would look the same and you could even go higher than 90% for your singles...Wendler recently mentioned on his website that he's been experimenting with doing the AMRAP first and then do your down sets so you are more fresh for the AMRAP

I like my way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Weight gain will help. But also..........I would be doing a higher volume of sets that are 5 reps or more, and you might choose to increase bench frequency. I would drop the DB Benches for 5x10. I don't think you are at a point where this is gonna help much. 531 program doesn't work for a lot because of the low volume of actual strength work.

I'd rather see you doing something like 3-5x5 on Tuesday and then 3 singles across on a Friday. I think doing that, you get yourself up to 225.
    Just to make sure I understand what you mean (language confusion, I'm from sweden), I should on Deadlift day do 3-5x5 and on Squat day work up to 3 heavy singles (80-90%?)?

Thanks for quick answer, really appreciate it!

No, I mean on Tuesday you should be squatting for like 3-5x5 across. And then on Friday, you squat again, but this time for heavy singles. On your heavy squat day, you could actually continue your 531 program for the deadlift, since a little less volume is better for deadlifting anyways.

Make sense?

No, I mean on Tuesday you should be squatting for like 3-5x5 across. And then on Friday, you squat again, but this time for heavy singles. On your heavy squat day, you could actually continue your 531 program for the deadlift, since a little less volume is better for deadlifting anyways.

Make sense?
    Sorry, but I'm confused...? Should I squat more for reaching my 220lb bench goal? And should I stop doing 5/3/1 except for deadlift? My current 5/3/1 program is:
    Monday: squat (press in Wendlers original program)
    Tuesday: bench (deadlift in Wendlers original program)
    Thursday: deadlift (benchin Wendlers original program)
    Friday: Press (squatin Wendlers original program)

Any suggestions on improvements on that is really appreciated.

Don't ask me why I switched days.... It just turned out that way...

Sorry dude, I got your question mixed up. I forgot you had asked me about the bench press in your original post. I think I still had another post on my mind while I was answering yours. Sorry for the confusion, my fault.

Something like this:

Monday: Bench Press 5 x 5
    Tuesday: Squat (531)
    Thursday: Bench Press 5 x 1, Press (531)
    Friday: Deadlift (531)

Make more sense???

G
    Sorry dude, I got your question mixed up. I forgot you had asked me about the bench press in your original post. I think I still had another post on my mind while I was answering yours. Sorry for the confusion, my fault.

Something like this:

Make more sense???
    Thanks, now it makes more sense! Really appreciate that you're taking your time to help me!

/B

starting strength coach development program
    [QUOTE=Andy Baker (KSC);658048]Something like this:

QUOTE]

Andy, with a set up like this how would you progress the bench? Would you add weight each week (which seems like a quick way to stall on the bench, as normal TM only adds weight each fortnight)? Would it be a good idea to repeat the volume day the next week and do a speed day instead of the 5x1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast